Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unhappy with tone...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sabo, May 21, 2003.

1. Sabo

Sabo

May 18, 2003
    I have a ampeg, svt 4 pro, with 2 of the pro hlfs, they are the cabs with the 3 ports on the bottom. I also play a warwick corvette pro, active. I recently have been having some tone woes, just not all that happy with what i'm getting, and it just doesnt seem all that loud. Granted in my band im competing with a mesa triple rectifier and a drummer that plays harder than anyone, i have ever seen. I just feel like my tone is just iffy at this point, and not that loud. I'll tell you my eq is run its pretty straight forward, I have all the knob controls flat, and only use the Graphic for the control, I have the LoW boost on, but then i have the 33hz droped a few db, then the eq form 120-900 pretty much almost flat in the graphic, 2khz droped a few db, 5khz up a few from flat, then 8khz i believe is flat, compression is about 3/4's of the way up, and thats about it on the eq'ing... NOT sure why it doesnt sound more full... People love the tone when they hear it usually, but im still just not THAT Happy with it... I may try going eden or mesa... just not sure, I just want SOLID round TONE that is impeccable, I plan on getting a BBE Maximizer to maybe help with some eq'ing woes, just not sure... Kinda at my wits end, I have owned so many amp brands, swr, hartke, trace elliot, each one for years, and always have been kinda unhappy with the tone. Any suggestions on eq'ing or amp brands...???

thanks

2. Sabo

Sabo

May 18, 2003
    OH, if you want to hear some of the way my bass sounds you can dl a few dif tracks from my bands ep... Actium Novena or nothingtocomehometo thanks again for any into!

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Get a bigger amp. Who needs tone if you can send bass waves powerful enough to turn the innards of people in the audience to mush?

4. WASHBURNGUY

WASHBURNGUY

Dec 28, 2002
    the biggining of acctim i can see your point thats how my peavey sounds.. UGGG..i just got a b4r(being sent soon)..i HOPE its better than my peavey...since it was modeled after that amp or some thing like that.
    right in the middle of the song i thought you sounded great!! i really liked it.
    it sounds like your lows are really muddy to me..when you jamm out it sounds good as hell but a bit muddy agin going low .. i realy like that tone myself but the lows sort of suck imo...mabbey try a diffrent bass? have you? i obviouslly love my washburn (b-10 cheepy) nothing sounds like it that iv played and my Whole band agrees..dont get a diff bass..
    im sure that warrick is like 2 or 3 of my guitar in price(but whatever floats your boat)ill get something better someday if i can find one that i like ..Anyway from what iv read those are cool amps..mabey try a diff bass is all you need..you guys sound really Good though!

5. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Have you tried an all tube amp? You really should. It may not be for you, but based on your comments, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

6. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Have you tried a GK? Maybe you need to get away from the generic bass amps you can buy at any music store and get into the real high end stuff. Euphonic Audio, Demeter, Alembic, Glockenklang. Don't waste your money on the Sonic Maximizer. Try a GK first, they work for a LOT of people, or maybe some different cabs).

BTW, if you have the bucks the best sounding amp there is is the Aguilar DB750, PERIOD!!

7. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    It seems odd that you say it's not loud enough with an Ampeg amp. How many watts? Try with all the EQ flat at first, especially the low end. Why is your compression at 3/4? Do you need that in a trio, especially if you play loud? I'd try playing with little or no compression to see if your levels are more dynamic, and maybe digging in a bit more with your fingers. Seems like your gear should be plenty good.

Good luck!

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Just what constitutes good tone is a very subjective topic. What sounds great to you, might be less than ideal for someone else, and vice versa. The obvious (though not very helpful) answer is "go check out a lot of gear, and bring your rig along to compare, and let your ears be your guide."

Of course, this is not always practical, and it is nice to hear suggestions from others. With that in mind, from what you have described, my personal suggestion would be one of the Mesa Boogie M-Pulse heads (the 600, if you want to be stupid loud) and one or two Epifani cabs. Two of their ultra light 4x10's would handle about any situation.

If you are considering the preamp/amp route, you could always wait for the soundclips from vanselus' preamp shootout to get posted, check them out and pick your favorite, throw in a high power amp (say, PLX 3004 :D ) and go from there!

Hope this helps, Tom.

9. the SVT-4PRO will put out 900w RMS into an 8ohm load, and 1200 RMS into a 4ohm load. So power is prolly not your problem (though, if you feel that you are too quiet, you might want to go to www.ampeg.com and DL the manual, and make sure your speakers are connected optimally). What I would recommend is getting the manual from ampeg's site, and trying out some of the pre-set sounds (the manual shows you how to set the EQ to get some common sounds from the amp). That would be a great place to start. You can probably get any sound you want from this amp. I have on, and I play with a 2x10 with the SVT-4PRO pushing 900w into it, and can be heard easily with a drummer and guitarist. Remember - boosting the lows, but not the mids will make you NOT cut through, and also give you a very muddy sound!

10. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I feel you on the svt 4 pro. I had one and I thought it was OK. It never really cut into my band's sound (kinda like you described).

I switched over to the SVT-CL all tube amp and I frickin love it. I would try some all tube heads like the CL or a Mesa 400+.

11. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    You have all those tone controls, but you keep them set flat. If you want to be heard above your bandmates, try cutting the low end just a little, and boosting the mids and highs a bit. We think that our bass needs to be all low end, but most of them will do that naturally. If you want to be heard, you need some midrange and highs.

The sound we hear when we listen to recordings or play alone is not always pratical in live situations. You'll need to experiment, and possibly get used to a brighter sound. If it's important to have lots of thunderous low bass, than give up on the idea of being able to hear yourself clearly. The two are not compatible.

JD

12. You've got 8x10s and 1200 watts and you arn't LOUD ENOUGH? Unless there is something seriously wrong with your amp head, you should be plenty loud enough. The main thing I see in you setup is "Compression on 3/4". That much compression will suck most of the punch out of your tone. I use a lot of compression when I record but working live is another story. I turn the compressor off, set the tone controls flat, and crank it up. The tone you hear may seem harsh and without any bottom. That is because you have become accustom to that scooped out tone that sounds so good when your unaccompanied. Problem is, it won't cut it in the mix.

13. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i use little to no compression...i think that is your problem...

and also remember what sounds good in your bedroom doesn't sound good in a band mix..usually the worst sounding tone in the bedroom sounds the best in a mix (to a point)

steve

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Don't forget also that a big factor in tone is your playing technique. Use less or no EQ and processing (effects, compression, et al) and vary your playing style to get the closest to what you like. Pay attention to how you attack and finish notes; often you can get more perceived punch by just making some space in between notes and by working on dynamics.

Then start playing with settings, and have fun while you're at it.

15. I run a Ampeg svt pro4, 4-10hlf and 2-15e, a bit different setup with the 2-15, but with your current set up you should have no problem cut'n threw, We recently jammed in a school gym, and had no problem being heard, loud drummer, guitar mic'd threw PA a long with vocals, still had lots more headroom, to crush the guitar and drummer when by the end of the night they seem to get louder and had to bring them back down with the crack of my belt or couple more knotches of my volume. I run everything basically flat,compression basically off, all the hi and low boosts are off, depress the -15db button even if your bass is active.

As for tone, i have just had the amp for 6 months, and finally getting the tone that i like, and what i found that running everything flat, and get the tone that i like from adjusting my bass (Ibanez EDA 900) magneto pick up 1/2 way up, piezo pick up 3/4 to not quite full, then fingers or pick depending on the song, fingers for more griddy tone, pick for more clean. This is what works for me, not sure if your bass has piezo pickups or not, but if it dose, maybe try some adjustments on your bass. For the first few months I just had everthing set up in the basement, and I had a extremely hard time getting a sound that I liked, but as soon as i got it into a bigger room and on a wooden stage, alot easier to get the tone that i wanted.

At first I thought I had made a mistake buying it, but now would never trade it off and recomend the amp to other people. This is just my own oppinion of how I run mine, and it works for me, hope some of this might help, any ways good luck.

16. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Solid round tone...buy an Eden.