Unholy Marriage?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonedeaf, Aug 29, 2003.

1. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

Looking for some opinions:

My first ever bass is/was a MIM P-Bass (It says "Fender" in the normal size and location on the headstock and "Squier series" about 1/4 of the size a little further toward the end, so I guess it's from before Squier became a separate brand).

Anyway, the guy who gave it to me routed it out, took out the stock P-pickup, and put a sort of J-style pickup. It's about the size a P-pickup would be if it were inline instead of split.

This left me with a bit of a pickguard quandary. For a few years, I just put a sticker over the hole left by the upper half of the P-pickup, but I decided to make a change.

A friend of mine (former metalhead) had a spare piece of diamondplate laying around and thought it would make a cool pickguard. I resisted for several months, but finally figured I might as well try it. Wasn't going to cost me anything. The standard P-pickguard shape turned out to be a little beyond our metalworking skills, and then it hit me. A Stingray-style pickguard might look pretty cool on a P-bass, and the overall effect would have a lot less diamondplate. I don't have any pictures yet, but the rough idea looks a lot better than I thought it would.

Any opinions on a P-Bass body with a little fatter than normal J-style pickup and a Stingray-inspired pickguard?
  2. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I'd love to see something like that. Do it and post a pic.
  3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    How does it sound with that pickup?
  4. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

It sounds really good (of course, good is incredibly subjective)! Very growly fingerstyle, or grind for days if you use a pick, which I rarely do anymore. It's not for the subtle stuff, though. Definitely a rock & roll bass (read "rock & roll" as more of a vibe than a particular musical style)

I mostly use it as a backup only because I've gotten used to the neck on my MIM jazz, but it was my main bass for about 4 years.

:: SOUND CLIP ::
    I found this short wave file that I made with this bass about a year and a half ago. A co-worker asked me to turn a short line graph into music. I set graph next to a standard notation sheet, decided on the Key of A, and made this. It follows the graph pretty closely. It also makes for a good sample clip because it uses all the strings. Sorry about the size/length ratio, it's a 10-second clip but it's about 725K. I couldn't get my ancient computer to convert it to an MP3 for some reason. Also, the hissiness can be traced directly to the crappiness of my sound card.
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    decent tone - nice :). be sure to post a pic of your bass.
  6. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii