1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Uni/college audition - Any song suggestions?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by soong, Jul 29, 2007.

1. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Hey guys, to start off, im a bass player of around 3 to 4 years, and im looking to head to university for a bachelor of music...

i'm just not sure about an auditions for songs suitable and that would show off my skills the best..

i know im playing Portrait of Tracy by Jaco, and maybe The Awakening from Claypool...and i need one or two other songs

Has anyone got suggestions for a song that could be played, without the accompaniement of a band, but that would sound good with even just a drummer keeping rhythm, that wouldnt be too hard also?

1. i cant be bothered getting a full band
    2. i've been playing for 3 to 4 years with Portrait being probably my most difficult song
    3. maybe a intermediate solo piece? or with some simple percussion (im not thinking Donna Lee here, just something, groovy, suitable with maybe an added improv solo)

Thanks in advance :D

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    It probably depends on the college and program. I think most, if not all, colleges give out audition information. They might require you to play a variety of specific pieces (sight-reading, improvising bass lines, and soloing), certain scales/arpeggios, and allow you to perform a tune or two of your own choosing. It might be smart to choose something that the judges would know. You should research with your prospective learning institutions. Give 'em a call.

3. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    oh yeah i did, i know what they want for auditions, and it includes 2 to 4 pieces of my choosing.

im just yet to confirm whether they're excerpts i need to play or entire songs.