1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

UniBass Replacement?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sutton, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    As many of you know, the Akai Unibass is a very rare, and very pricey pedal. I was just curious, is there something that does a similar effect, without breaking the wallet too bad?

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
  3. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    interesting - I'm still holding out for a used Octron though.

4. i bet you could do it with a whammy as well, mine has a wet out and dry out, and you could put a distortion on the wet output...

5. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    the boss me-50b has a hi-band drive setting that can be combined with the octave up feature to simulate a distorted guitar line following your clean bass line. the demo video shows that also, should be worth a look.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I'll fight you for it :)

7. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    EHX POG....

ok so it doesn't really do distortion.. and it really doesn't do a 4th or 5th... but hey...

bass sound clip from EEHX

actually, it's not too bad sounding... if they'd make a version with a wet and dry outputs, you could tack on a distortion or OD or somthing and have fun!

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I use a Guyatone fuzz. It adds a strong upper octave (2nd harmonic) to the signal. Then I push it into an Ibanez PD-7 to high-pass it around 100 Hz.
    The whole thing goes parallel with the rest of my bass signal and I get a very decent Unibass impression. It doesn't sound so much like a guitar but it's way punchier.