Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Uniboss mode on Behringer bass chorus???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Terrorstorm, Feb 26, 2006.

1. hey..

I've read a lot about people using the Boss bass chorus as some sort of uniboss clone here...
    I'd like to do this, but I don't need chorus (which I already have on my multi effects unit).
    Can the Behringer bass chorus also do it?
    all those new pedals of them seem to have the same controls like the boss ones,...so this should be possilbe..?!?
    so I don't want to give out the extra $ for the Boss if the Behringer is also able.

thanks!!

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    The things about the Boss that allow it to work like this are the filter (low-cut) conrol - which I imagine the rip-off has; the second is the extra output, that allows you to tap-off just the 'wet' signal. I dunno if the so-and-so would have that.

I'd suggest you get the Boss, if you can. Well, actually: face-it - you could get the boss.

I went back to messing with it agian in the middle of writing this. It's strange to me that the boss seems to have no 'regeneration' in its operation. When I run the effect-only output with the E.Level at 3:00, filter on flat (CW), and depth and rate at min (CCW) - there's NO appreceable difference in tone between 'on' and 'bypass'. There's no 'effect' at all - it doesn't sound 'chorused' in the least; just a straight, flat, dry bass signal. When I mess with the modulation controls, I get a single, flat, dry, pitch-shifted bass. When I mess with the filter control, it simply but distinctively rolls-off the low end (the true original dry signal is not touched by this filter at all - it's only the delayed and modulated signal).

That's the whole trick of the UniBoss effect - the second, distorted signal is so much like a seperate instrument playing in-unison - it's 'played' at a slightly-different yet varying time; it's at a slightly (or NOT-slightly!) different and varying pitch, AND it has a steep low-cut on the tone, as compared with the original.

This is a potentially powerful tool.

I'm going to experiment with this more carefully again (I haven't been using the sound any more, now that I went from a 3-piece to an 8-piece band!).

I think I'll get one of those cool, cheap little mixers to mix the signals when I experiment. One of those... uh.. yeah, I guess it would be one of those Behringer ones. Dang.

Well, something like that, anyway... Maybe Roland makes one.

Seeya -

Joe

3. Thanks for the infos!! :)

Probably I will take the Boss one.

Would you be able to make some records of the Uniboss???

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I don't think I could make recordings - within the next week-or-so, anyway.

Remember that you need more than just the CEB-3 to make this work: You have to split-off the 'wet', effected output, and process it seperately. This can be done in several ways, but I still haven't achieved more dramatic results than when I fed the effect-signal out to a little 'Roland Blue Cube' guitar amp! I used the amp's own, built-in distorion, so all I needed was the CEB, one cable, and this little 30W amp.

I want to get back to using this effect as part of my regular fuzz bass sound. I want it all to come out of my regular rig. I use a PA cab for a bottom, so it's all ready to put-out a 'mixed' sound like this. Except for the 'stereo' effect that's realized through having the 'guitar' come from a physically different place on stage - which is, of course, more dramatic when the listener is actually ON the stage - there are several advantages to having the sound all mixed together. Mainly, that it's much easeir to get the signal into the house PA! It'd be different if we had our own PA and/or audio tech, but it's usually rented or 'provided' systems - so I want to keep it simple, and have control of the wet/dry mix myself!

I'm not sure what I'm going to use to mix the two signals, but a little mini-mixer is tempting - with those I could have some tone control over the second signal too. ..Else I could go with the Boss loop-selector pedal; I kind of like that Idea, just in-that I'd be sticking with the Boss brand - they sure have been doing me right!

At any rate: it's a valuable, musical sound to use. A little reverb on the second 'instrument' even richens it up some more!

Oh yeah.

Joe

5. hello... and first: thanks for helping me.. :hyper:

I don't have a guitar amp, and i'd really like to have the whole thing in my bass rig, so ... another question:

I don't know if you're familiar with the Mesa 400+ head, which I own. It has two different inputs which also can be mixed and used at the same time. My idea is the following.

I use one input for the clean bass tone and the second one for the wet signal of the CEB3 with a distortion pedal put between.

Do you think this will work?

Or is it necessery to root the signal to a own amp, is so, will also a Bass combo work?

thanks very much..

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yes, it will. Sheesh - a Mesa 400? It'll work niiiiice!

Remember that since you're cutting the lows as part of the signal split, you don't have to use a bass distortion. In fact, I'd think you'd probably do better with a guitar pedal.

One thing to be aware of: when you stomp OFF the CEB-3, it doesn't turn OFF the second signal, but instead routs the same clean, uneffected signal to the second output. This should turn-out to not be so-bad, because that way the 'off'-condition will add a little clean volume to 'replace' this second signal dropping out (if you turn off BOTH the distort and the chorus). Another thought is that you could possibly make the distorion pedal to boost volume when you turn it on (the amp channel would be turned down to compensate) - that way you could probably just bypass the distortion only, and the clean, doubled sound would be so far in the 'background' then, that it wouldn't be noticeable, except for a slight chorus-richness that might be nice!

Hm... Now that I think about it - it could easily be set up for triple-duty: turn off the distortion only, and get 'regular' chorus; turn off the chorus only, and get 'regular' fuzz-bass (with blended clean bass - just like most bass distortions); turn'em both off, and get a volume boost; turn'em both on, and get Uniboss! Cool.

I'm going to get right on this my self!

Post back, to let me know how it works-out, OK? ..And let me know what distortion pedal you end-up using!

Joe

7. hello..
    thanks very much! you have explained it to me very good!!
    maybe I will get the CEB-3 this weekend,...probably I will use my guitarist's Metal Zone for distortion, until I can afford another distortion pedal. I won't forget to tell you how it works.

greets..

8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ooo - that one has sweepable mids, PLUS bass and treble; could be juuust-the-ticket...

Le'me know!

Joe