Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unidentifiable 60's Bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by peaveybassamp88, Apr 20, 2003.

1. I saw this bass at a Music Go Round and tried it out as a joke, and I loved it! It was only $100 and i was looking for a summer project so I went for it. I think it's a catalog bass (Sears, JCPenny) but I'm not sure. I hope someone figures out before I sand/restain it and everything so I know i'm not messing up a bass worth more than $100.
    :bawl: It's too weird to describe, just look at the picture and drop me a line if you have any tech questions about it. Thanks!!
    PS: On the picture, look at the pickups, the selector switch, the pickguard(on the headstock too....), and the bridge/cover. Those are the unique things that might help you to figure it out.......
    TOTAL P-BASS COPY!!!!!!!:bassist:

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Can't say that I've ever seen that kinda headstock before! Wierd. I'd say you're right about the "catalog" kind of bass, though, based on looks alone. I don't know if I'd do a refin on it, though. I like the looks of it now. It's got a great 60s futuristic vobe going for it with that big point on the headstock and the striped pickguard.

3. takeout

takeout Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Kansas City area
    Teisco Del Ray. Mid-60's. Pretty cool tone.

4. Jon Maghini

Jon Maghini Commercial User

Aug 15, 2002
    USA Terryville CT.
    Owner / Builder M Basses
    I would also have to say Teisco Del Ray
    I wouldn't do a basement refin on it it may kill it's vibe.....

5. WHOA! I found out what that bass was in a day, I thought it would take years. I did a search and found a Teisco Del Rey timeline and found the exact same one as mine....only in better condition and with the logo. Thanks to everyone who helped me find out what the hell this thing was. Now I just have to decide if I'm going to: Leave it as it is, Restore it, or Redo it how i want it (a little different). Thanks Again! Any questions? Email me again. :cool: :bassist: