Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unidentifiable 60's Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peaveybassamp88, Apr 21, 2003.

1. I saw this bass at a Music Go Round and tried it out as a joke, and I loved it! It was only $100 and i was looking for a summer project so I went for it. I think it's a catalog bass (Sears, JCPenny) but I'm not sure. I hope someone figures out before I sand/restain it and everything so I know i'm not messing up a bass worth more than $100.
    It's too weird to describe, just look at the picture and drop me a line if you have any tech questions about it. Thanks!!
    PS: On the picture, look at the pickups, the selector switch, the pickguard(on the headstock too....), and the bridge/cover. Those are the unique things that might help you to figure it out.......
    TOTAL P-BASS COPY!!!!!!!

2. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    woah......thats.....weird.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I've seen dozens of those basses, they had brand names like Teisco or Valco or Supro. I've seen one at a garage sale for $50 and I still walked away.

Does that mean it's a bad bass? No, but there's better stuff out there.

4. looks more like a Tele bass copy, not a P?

5. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I would say a mix between one of those old Thunderbird basses and a T-Bass. I would have definately bought it for $100, I would have gone up to $200, but that's just me, I like weird **** like that. How's it sound? Play?

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Fer chrissakes, it's a Jazzmaster/Jaguar copy...

[​IMG]

7. *laughs* I was just about to say the same! :D

8. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Ah..I didn't see the upper horn the first time I looked at the picture.

9. This bass actually reminds me of the one Kris Novoselic uses in the "Smells Like Teen Spirit" video...and it gets smashed up by Kurt in the end :D

10. I'm pretty sure it's a Teisco del Rey.

11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    That headstock is like a cartoon! I like the fret markers, though.

12. Thanks for everyone who helped my figure out what it was. I did some research and found that it's a Teisco Del Rey EB-200, i even found an exact picture of it, but in better condition. I realized later that saying it was a PBass copy was a total mistake but o well, bummer...... I'm gonna take it to this guy who own this awesme bass store, Bass Palace. He'll know everything about I'm pretty sure. Thanks again everyone! I def. think this bass was worth $100, maybe $150. The neck feels like a P-bass, but it's a short scale bass so it's easier to play. It sounds great to me. It doesn't have the same, classic P/J Bass sound and tone, but it's really 60's/funky/awesome. There's some little things about it that I'll have to fix/repair, but I like it a lot overall. If you see one, try it out just for kicks, they're pretty neat for a cheapo bass.
    :bassist:

13. I think I've seen a shot of Flea playing a bass like that in an early RHCP video - a Fender headstock shape but with 2+2 machineheads.

14. A bit like Fender's headstocks on their 12 string electric guitars, too.