Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

unidentified bass, rickenbacker or copy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimmy-r6, Jan 11, 2006.

1. jimmy-r6

jimmy-r6

Jan 11, 2006
    I was given this bass about ten years ago by my cousin, after finding it in the loft a few weeks ago i decided to try and find out what it was. It looks like an old rickenbacker but it has no names on it. The body has a very well made straight through neck but cheap looking parts, any help would be appreciated.

thanks

2. jimmy-r6

jimmy-r6

Jan 11, 2006
    i did try and put a couple of piocs there but they didnt come up:meh:

Attached Files:

3. jimmy-r6

jimmy-r6

Jan 11, 2006
    and another

Attached Files:

4. Definately a copy, though not a bad one. The bridge is the biggest givaway, since a genuine Rick has a unique bridge which requires routing to install, so it can't simply be replaced by the Fender-style bent metal one yours has. There are other details that are wrong, too, like the dot inlays with the bound neck. Still, if it plays well, it's certainly got potential to be fixed up with some nicer hardware...

Mike

5. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    That's not a Rickenbacker bridge, but a lot of people opt for a replacement.

The serial numbers should be on the output jack cover. There should be 2 letters and a number. If you go to the RIC website there is a place where you can input the number and it will tell you when it was made.

Also, there are some very sharp Rickenbacker people on the forum that can answer just about any question. The CEO of Rickenbacker, John Hall even monitors the site and will make comments when needed. You might post some pics there.

6. jimmy-r6

jimmy-r6

Jan 11, 2006
    thanks, it was only the quality of the body that confused me into thinking it might be real ,

7. jimmy-r6

jimmy-r6

Jan 11, 2006
    theres no number there, its just plastic with mono and stereo on it

8. Could be an ibanez?

9. The only thing about this is that I believe the Ibby's had a checkerboard binding. I'm also not too sure that Ibanez made their copies as neckthru's - Somehow, I remember them being bolt-ons but I could be wrong.

10. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I think Hambone is right about the bolt-on ..... being an old ba*tard I can remember when these basses were new, and I remember being PO'd that the Ibanez knock-off's were bolt-on's .....

Whatever that bass is, it's pretty cool to find any old Japanese knock-off from that era, but especially a Ric copy .... :cool:

11. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    That could be a replacement part. If you go to the RIC forums they'll tell you about numbers and such that are on the volumn and tone pots... but know what you are looking for before you get into that.

The Ibanez copy of Rickenbacker has a bolt on neck.. at least everyone that I've seen has. The checkerboard binding was dropped for the '74 models and later.

Rickenbacker has not changed this model design very much over the last 40 years. It really takes a good idea and some familiarity with the product to even tell the 4001 and 4003 from each other. (they are different, but its not immediately obvious)

If anyone out there is in business and is interested in how some companys do their stuff, it would do you to check out the Rickenbacker company. Very different, and IMO good way to do business. Private company, you can't buy stock... they don't endorse artists and have very few if any salespeople. Yet... the produce is fantastic and sells itself.

12. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Agreed 100% with Mike...it's not a Rick, for the reasons he gave. Nice copy though.

Marshall

13. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I'll throw my two cents in here and agree that it is definately a copy. Probably an Ibanez, they made a very good copy with the neck through design. They also made a cheaper bolt-on style copy.

The bridge looks like a Fender Precision type bridge that someone looks to have retrofitted to the bass. If it was a RIC there would be a large area routed where the bridge would be.

What really gives this bass away is that it has a bound body and dot neck position markers. All 4001 basses with body binding always had slash inlay positon markers on the neck.

Greco made the best 4001 copy IMO. It was a much closer copy than the bass pictured above.

TD

14. 3flowoj

3flowoj

Jan 13, 2005
    Morton IL
    I agree with Thornton Davis on this one. I swear I have seen a Ibanez copy neck-thru, very rare bass. And I know I am not confusing it with the bolt on copy because I almost bought one a while back.