1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Unidentified Gretsch Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lshapebass, Dec 1, 2006.

1. I just purchased this solid-body 6-string Gretsch bass, and nobody (not even my Gretsch dealer) knows what it is. Can anyone help? Gretsch logo on headstock and Gretsch knobs, but no serial numbers or other markings. Model? Year? Value? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.:help:

Attached Files:

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've never seen a Gretsch that looked anything like that. Have you contacted Gretsch? Maybe they could identifiy it.

3. Haven't gone to Gretsch yet. Their website kind of discourages that and encourages visiting local dealers. One guy on a Gretsch board said he thought it was something else (maybe Yamaha) faked out to be a Gretsch. I just think if anyone was going to go to that amount of trouble, they would try to make it look like an actual Gretsch. Must admit it resembles a Patitucci, though.

4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Have you taken off the neck to see if it says anything in the pocket?

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It does look more like a Yamaha.

If you like the bass then play it and don't worry about what it is. I bought a Warwick in Korea that was nice (and cheap), bubinga body, fretless. I noticed the bridge was different from Warwick's so I sent an email to Dana B. Good, the US Warwick distributor, and they confirmed it was a fake. I sent them a copy of the receipt so they could look into it (it was in Korean so I couldn't even tell them the name of the store). It is still a good bass, and I play it whenever I need a fretless. I don't really care if it is real or not, it works for me.

6. I've totally stripped it looking for markings. No luck. I agree that it's the playability and sound that matters a whole lot more than what it is. I'm just love a good mystery. The bass sounds great, and I'm having a blast playing it. I'll do a couple of gigs with it before I make the final decision to keep or sell.

7. thats a Yamaha..

8. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Agreed

9. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Maybe the previous owners name was Gretsch...

10. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I don't think Gretsch would ever make an ERB, in a million years. It's not a company that has 'progressive' instrument design, they love traditional sounds there.

Somebody stuck a Gretsch decal on your bass.

11. definitely a TRB late 90s model i think

12. yeah the bridge and pickups resemble yamaha of the 90's (very like my 90's BBN5) just the head is different as yamaha had a wiggly head scroll then right?

can you see any remnant of the yamaha printed on the pickups treble bridge side as they are embossed quite well, if they are the origonal pickups ypou probably will be to see the writing still (or at least a ghost)

still a nice ERB bet it growls on the lower end nice.

13. Would the yamaha marking be on the top surface of the pickup? I have examined closely but couldn't even find a ghost. Maybe the pickups were replaced. After reviewing the photos I could find on the web, I agree with the TRB diagnosis. I guess the only remaining mystery is the neck. Here's some better photos just to see if anyone else has ideas about it.

Attached Files: