Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unimpressed by Fender Aerodyne

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superfly, May 9, 2005.

1. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I got a call from the local GC telling me that they had just recieved a new Fender Aerodyne that I had been GASing for.
    So I went down there, ready to return the SUB I had just bought a few days ago.
    Well after checking it out , I walked out empty handed and with the new SUB in the back of the van taking a ride back home.
    The Aerodyne was dissapointing to me. Its pretty much a concensus here that the Aerodyne pickups are in need of a quick change. After playing and fiddling a few minutes, that was evident. + 1 for the SUB. The pickup in my passive SUB is great.

The finish on the Aerodyne is nice, but for how long? I lightly wiped off a finger smudge on it and bam... instant hairline scratching. +2 for the SUB. The texture coat on the SUB is ugly yeah (subjective) but its supposed to be that way! No scratching here, Heck no need to ever clean it! And when I receive the mint white pickguard, I'll get rid of the ugly aluminum one.

The hardware on the Aerodyne was average. +3 for the SUB. Solid Musicman hardware.

The binding on the Aerodyne was a weird color. Not really a rich cream color, but almost a kind of "glow in the dark" color.

The neck was nice on the Aerodyne, but honestly it reminded me of a MIM Fender neck. +4 for the SUB. The SUB neck is larger and fatter than the A.D., but the fretwork and fretboard are great. And just seems like better quality.

Overall the Aerodyne didn't seem to have that "MIJ" all around feel of quality. It actually felt like a made in Mexico Fender to me.
    I"m happier with the overall feel of quality the SUB has, compared to the Aerodyne.

I know, "apples & oranges", but just a review and my opinion of course.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I agree on the Aerodyne. I've tried a few, and have been very underwhelmed by them. I also really HATE the knobs and the fingerprint magnet finish.