uninspired feelings

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mind Eroded, Sep 29, 2004.

1. lately ive been really down in the dumps about my bass playing. Ive been playing for 4 years and just broke up with my band this summer. Id have to say this bummed me out and when i jam on my own, i can never come up with anything good. Sometimes i think too hard and as soon as i plug in i start playing some boring played out progressions for a few minutes then i just hang my bass back up on my wall. This happens at least 7 or 8 times a day. I also feel bad cause i recently bought a beautiful fender jazz w/natural finish and cant seem to give it the action it deserves. Has anyone here ever found themselves in this type of situation? :(
  2. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Sometimes I need to step away and let it rest for a few days.
  3. that works...
    otherwise something that works for me is get something new...something like an effect pedal, like a cheap envelope filter or even a loop pedal, and take those boring progressions and solo over them or something...try something new!

good luck
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Call it "writer's block"
    Outside of getting a new pedal or whatever, another trick is taking out an album and learning all of the songs. don't torture yourself by white knuckling a flecktones album, i did that with "siamese dream" and "core" when i ws in a similar slump. You can also head on down to some open mic nights and back some people up. A lot of times the OMN's have a house band and all too often the bass player will be more than happy to let you play for an hour so he/she can go grab a drink and hang out.
  5. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    try play *gasp* guitar.
  6. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    run away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! run away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. yeah i think i'll learn some songs off of core. that cd has been collecting dust in my room long enogh. STP have some great basslines.
  8. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Try buying a CD that is way out of your league and trying to figure out the bass lines. After playing the cliche mainstream punk/metal/hard rock scene for 4 odd years, i recently brought the Maroon 5 album 'Songs about Jane' and Joss Stones cd 'Mind, Body & Soul'. After buying them CD's, I played my bass more in the last 3 days than in i have in the last 6 months.
  9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    So go jam with someone. Sheesh...
  10. sometimes the answer is not always so easy, smarta** :eyebrow:
  11. jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Whenever this happens to me, a few days or some new gear (even a setup or strings) helps, but the best thing that I find is randomly changing the tuning (in a half or whole step interval) on a couple of strings. Lets me play things in a different way, and that way I don't know how the notes are related right away (at least by looking at the neck). It almost always helps.
  12. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    tonight i went and did a quick rehearsal with a blues group i'm doing a sub gig for - not exactly where you'd expect to get inspired. However, running thru covers like "respect" (which i've never played but was, shall we say, easy to play by ear) got me more inspired than i've been in a while. Just to groove on a few songs i know but have never played before. Sometimes that's all it takes.