1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by YuppyPunk, Jul 31, 2012.

1. YuppyPunk

YuppyPunk

Oct 21, 2011
    I know that power conditioners are viewed as a waste of money by many. But what about a small home-use UPS? Would it act as a barrier between whatever wonky power the gig has and your amp, providing consistent voltage? Obviously the battery would be mostly worthless.

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    UP supplies are, in general, incapable of suppling the power needed by any fairly powerful bass amp.

3. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Jun 28, 2010
    Detroit
    I was looking at a CyberPower unit to protect against the power sags that are common here in the summer. I emailed the company with the specs of my amp, and a representative told me that it would work fine for that purpose, so...

4. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    I'd take that with a grain of salt, seeing as his job is to sell those power units...

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Way too heavy to bother lugging to a gig.

6. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    You can get some serious UPS's .... some are built to allow several servers to shut down in an orderly fashion...

They weigh a lot... a high end 1U 19" UPS will cost you - and might have enough juice to smooth out a small sag... but a powerful amp would need a monster of a UPS to guarantee a smooth takeover if the power fails.

It's been done - one remark I read, on this forum IIRC, was of someone using a UPS to handle dogy power from generators at outdoor gigs... as well as having the power fail at a gig, and it was just bass and drums till the power came back.

You'll be the one lugging the gigantic battery pack though (most are lead-acid AFAIK).

Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase 'lead sled' :D.

7. Mehve

Mehve

Jun 2, 2012
    Kitchener, ON
    The part of a UPS that you sound interested in would be covered by a good power conditioner. If you go looking that route, make you sure you double-check on how much power you need - no amp is 100% efficient, they all take in more power than they put out, some by a very large degree.

Also, especially if you're using an amp with a SMPS (most amps that are advertised as "light weight"), make sure the UPS is rated to put out a sine wave. You can occasionally get weird/damaging behaviour from the crappy stepped sine waves that really cheap UPS's output on battery backup mode.

A decent UPS will generally smooth out bad voltage surges/sags, and even pull excessive harmonics/noise out of the input, but if you're really serious, you want a dual-conversion design, which literally converts the wall/generator power into DC, stores it in batteries, than inverts it back to AC as needed, which pretty much kills any weird stuff coming from the wall dead. But these are heavy, expensive, and not something you get on a whim.

8. Real men use backup diesels.

9. Hi.

Commercially available cheap UPS equipment can't usually be used with anything audio.

The RFI and "reflected noise" (for the life of me I can't remember the acronym) levels that are acceptable for computers, aren't acceptable for audio.

The level of interference supression in the amp PSU's vary greatly as well, so something that works with one amp, may not work with another.

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY in any case.

Regards
    Sam

10. If you're concerned about voltage fluctuations and want a constant 120VAC, what you're looking for is a voltage REGULATOR. They're not cheap.