Union representative

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Yvon, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Anybody does it?
    I've been doing it for about 5 years now. For the last year it's been in a new and big company, we are about 750 workers.
    The company is not really easy to deal with. And it's been really hard to do the job lately.
    Anybody else as any experiences to tell us?
  2. has been applying for a job as a writer for one of the local healthcare unions here in new york.

when the dude told me my job would primarily entail getting up around 3:00 a.m., driving to our state capital, and attempting to solicit non-union workers, while protecting them against angry employers, i said 'thanks, but no thanks.'

it definitely sounds like a difficult job.

i can never seem to decide if i'm pro-union or not. on the one hand, it's necessary, on the other, it's corruption.

necessary evil? i just don't know.

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I know what you mean, it's not often that easy.
    Sometimes I need to protect employee that did something wrong of purpose. I know it, they know it, and I still have to protect them.
    But at the same time when the boss is not fair, I'm happy to help people!
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have worked in the drywall union for the past six years as a taper. There are definitely great things about the union, the benefit package is the best around here. My coverage continued even after I left my job from injury. But the bad shows up as well.

Our company employs about 100 people in the same trade as me. Since I am the most knowledgable about how the union works, and work as a foreman, I have been selected to represent all of our guys. I have helped out in some organizing activities, and gone to jobsites to speak with non-union members about maybe joining.

Overall, it has been a pleasant experience.

5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm surprised NJL hasn't blown his own horn here yet...

But he said it was an interesting job, like the organizing he was doing with the migrant farmworkers.

He used to be my friend, then I told him about my union experiences.

We ( the people I worked for) beat the Longshoremen once and the Teamsters twice in 3 years in an organizing election situation back in the late 70's / early '80's.

It was quite educational.

I have also held union jobs in my life. So I have seen some of both sides.

Anybody figure out where they buried Hoffa yet?