1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No longer available Unique 2014 Electra Phoenix "double reverse Precision/P-bass" - fat tone, buttery neck!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by TimBosby, Feb 9, 2016.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Price:
    Strings:
    Electra is back and their newer Korean basses blow away the Japanese basses from the 70s, in my opinion. This is a recent-model Electra Phoenix. The quality and construction on this baby is what you would find on a higher end, boutique instrument. I was very happy to discover a recessed-bolt neck joint, all-chrome Hipshot ultralight Y-key tuners, Tusq nut, real mother-of-pearl block inlays, Babicz bridge, smooth, glass-like ebony fingerboard, and excellent fretwork. I love this bass and it sounds amazing, but I already have another "double reverse P" (you can see the other one here) and don't need two.

The specs:

Alder body, beautiful gloss black finish, two passive EMG pickups in the reverse position with an active EMG circuit (treble / bass stack) and 5-way pickup selector/splitter rotary knob (you can do full on, outer coils, inner coils, front P pickup only, or rear P pickup only - see video below.) This bass plays like butter. The nut width is somewhere between 1.5" and 1.625" (I believe it's 40 mm)... the neck feels chunky awesome in my large hands but it is also very fast and easy to play.

Maybe this demo video will convince you :D....

This bass is seriously awesome and is in excellent condition. I discovered a thin paint scratch across the back, but since the bass is black, you have to tilt it in the light to really see it. I'm a overly-careful with my gear and picky about flaws and it does not bother me a bit.

You can see and hear me playing it here! (use headphones!) This baby really cuts through the mix!

"Young Doctors In Love" by Mint Wad Willy | HN Live at Take Cover

Ships in an Electra gigbag. Using a non-scientific method, I weighed it at 9 lbs (could be a little more or less.)

It is currently with my luthier in Iowa getting a fret dressing. He does amazing fretwork so I have no doubt the neck (which already plays very nicely) will be like butter when he's done with it.

Sale price: $525 shipped lower 48.
    Trade value approximately $575-$625.

TRADE INTEREST

-Fretless basses (4-string preferred, lined preferred)
    -5-string fretted basses (tight B string a must, prefer 18mm string spacing)
    -EHX Bass Microsynth (newer version) + cash to me
    -MAYBE a bass head + cash to me
    -Other things + cash to me

Pictures below - a few were borrowed from the bass's previous owner.

IMG_20160221_120911347. IMG_20160221_120859191_HDR. IMG_20160221_120920404. IMG_20160221_120936099. electra2014_ - 4. electra2014_ - 6. electra2014_ - 9. IMG_20160221_121042816_HDR. electra10.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  2. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    I woulda bought this if it were the natural finished version (as in the demo video).

3. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Those were my initial thoughts until I realized how phenomenal the mother of pearl on ebony blocks look. Real mother of pearl, too, well, at least according to what I've read. By comparison, I think Fender uses plastic...

4. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    That bass is beautiful.
    If only our loonie wasnt in the chitter.

5. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    pjbassist likes this.
  6. morrisonhendrix

morrisonhendrix When the music's over, turn out the lights... Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    I dig that bass and I dig that song! The band's sound/vibe is great! You have a Plimsouls "Million Miles Away" type vibe.

7. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Hey thanks!!

8. got any recordings of the setting with inside coils in parallel? Or can you describe how that setting sounds compared to neck or bridge pickup alone?

9. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    @AndyPanda Listen to the demo video around 3:00 - he's playing it with inside coils only for a good minute or so. The dude in the video is 100x the bassist I am, but it sounds really good!

10. bassvirtuoso

bassvirtuoso My God, it's full of chrome! Gold Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    Time for a fretless conversion!

11. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Decided against the fretless conversion, but I just had Andrew Drake set it up. Plays like buttah.

Need to sell, so make an offer!!

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  12. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
  13. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Wow. I will add this to my dream bass list. Sorry I can't afford it now.

14. moe.moe

moe.moe Endorsed by Mercy & Grace ™

Jun 22, 2008
    PM'ed ya brother Tom.... :)

15. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    PM'd with trade offer. Killer sounding bass and really good band; very nice bass playing; great tone.

16. Camelspur

Camelspur Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Any interest in a peavey foundation fl fretless?

17. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Sorry, @Camelspur ... If Foundation necks weren't so thin I would be :(

If you have anything else, feel free to PM me.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  18. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Make an offer:

-Cash
    -4-string fretless
    -5-string fretted

I would also trade for a comparable or less-expensive 4-string fretted. Hit me up.

19. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Sold locally to a bandmate.