'Unique' and original design fuzzes;...what's out there and what's good?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cnltb, Nov 29, 2015.

1. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    In a good way?

2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    For me, the Jext Telez Dizzy Tone is pretty unique. Its based off the old Elka fuzzes so it is a clone so to speak, but its still the most unique and or boutiqe'ish fuzz Ive ever tried. The Prunes and Custard was also once on my board but they fetch some good money so I sold it off and got something else. I did like it a lot, just didnt really use it.

I also think the Malekko B:ASSMASTER is a great, unique fuzz. But this is also based off of the original Brassmaster. So its a clone too. But to me, it is still unique.

I recently got the Four Eyes Fuzz by Fairfield. Talk about unique! Its probably the most odd dirt pedal Ive ever owned. Im not sure if I would classify it as a "fuzz", but it can do fuzz. I think its more a dist pedal. But man can it do some weird things. Cool pedal.

I havent tried a ton of fuzz so Im not the best guy to say, there are MANY on here that know a ton more about fuzzes than I ever will. But those are the ones that stand out to me as unique.

blindrabbit likes this.
  3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Do you have one too?? What are your settings?? And have you ever had issues with low end loss??

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    As far as I know the Lo-Tone is an original design though given Fran's history with EHX it wouldn't surprise me if it was a very highly modified Muff. Either way, it's a great sounding fuzz for bass.

The Cthulhu sounds good but it is definitely based on a Fuzz Face. And the Arcane Analog is a clone of the Burns Buzzaround.

It's a modified Fuzz Face circuit.

5. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Jared, that's all ya got? Really? Heart and soul don't count for uniqueness? Why not let the OP speak for themselves instead of presuming to keep safe the public good, protecting it from frivolous posts like mine?

6. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Don't forget about Dwarfcraft. The Great Destroyer, Eau Claire Thunder, etc.

Edit: I stand corrected. TGD is based on an Anderton Tube Sound Fuzz, but isn't exactly a clone.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    Pyrat likes this.
  7. Gabbs

Gabbs

May 15, 2010
    Boulder Creek, CA
    McSpunckle Effects Gnomeratron VTF Fuzz. I think I could spend the rest of my life just spinning the 10 knobs and flipping the 5 switches and still never find all the sounds it can make. It's a fuzz workstation. From completely mild and warm to crazy feedback octave flipped madness. mcspunckle_gnomeratron-vtf_001.jpg

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    'Let the OP speak for themselves?'
    I thought I'd done that?
    Are you asking what my choices would be?
    I haven't really used enough to speak on the matter.
    But...
    The one I know is the unpleasant surprise which I get along with really well.
    The great destroyer has been on my radar for a bit-is it as special as dwarfcraft say it is?
    The four eye is also one i have been eyeing for some time - is it touch sensitive?
    On we go and thanks for the contributions so far!
    :)

blindrabbit likes this.
  9. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    I didn't know until now that the Woolly Mammoth is fuzz face based. It seems like many fuzzes that I really like eventually turns out to be fuzz face based.

A few here that I think are great and unique (but are possibly based on a fuzz face):

Lastgasp 88 Super Oscillo Fuzz
    Mountainking Electronics Heavy Machine
    Devi Ever Ruiner

blindrabbit and nshuman like this.
  10. This one for sure!

ProfFrink likes this.
  11. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I think you're reading way more into my response than was intended. What the OP said was,

All I was doing was pointing out those fuzzes that aren't original "from the ground up" designs.

To be fair, there's only so many ways you can clip a signal so it's not as if there are all that many unique topologies around, but the OP was looking for "new" designs rather than modifications of existing circuits.

I'm certainly not casting aspersions on your choice of fuzz. My favorite distortion right now is the MXR Bass Distortion but as much as I dig it, there's no getting away from the fact that it's based on the Rat/Turbo Rat. Personally I like it far more than the originals but it's still a derivative. I'm simply trying to give the OP the answers he was asking for, nothing more.

12. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I'm not familiar enough with the first two mentioned to guess at whether they are original circuits or clones/derivations. But the Ruiner (I believe) is just two of Devi Ever's Dark Boosts stacked. I don't know if the Dark Boost itself is an original design or not.

as for the Mammoth, one clue that it's a Fuzz Face derivative is that it sounds very different with active basses. Fuzz Face circuits work in part by loading down your pickups. So they sound very different with the impedance change that comes with either a bass with a preamp or having a buffer in front of them. It's also why the Mastotron has a 100 K pot and a resistor in front of the input to both soften the distortion and to reduce the effects of having a buffer in front of the fuzz.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    blindrabbit and Dark Barn like this.
  13. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    I knew that about the Ruiner, but a single Dark Boost isn't a fuzz. Assuming the Dark Boost is original might be wrong of me though.

14. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Right, it's a dirty boost and cascading one into another causes the second one to be overloaded and create a pretty neat fuzz tone. Like you I don't know if the Dark Boost is an original creation. But just as with a lot of fuzzes, most boosts are very simple circuits so again, there's often a lot of overlap where it becomes difficult to say what is a clone or derivative vs a new design.

I like the idea of a builder creating something new and totally their own, but in the end of the day, for me it's just about whether I dig the sound or not.

Dark Barn likes this.
  15. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I think the Wounded Paw Attack Goat is an original design.

I like the fact that it retains plenty of low end, and has a nice high-end sizzle - not fizz, sizzle!!!

blindrabbit likes this.
  16. What if the pedal sounds great, is not a clone of another fuzz circuit but IS a clone of an amp's pre-amp?

Traynor TS-50B —> Tronographic Rusty Box

And what is the Elements derived from? Not outright fuzz, but it gets close in my book, especially feeding one elements into another, or two.

PS: Cool thread

gregmon79 and blindrabbit like this.
  17. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Then that's another thread. ;)

blindrabbit likes this.
  18. Well...it is fundamentally a superfuzz with a clean blend. Each builder has their own take on it, in this case the Tone knob is probably the unique part of it, but IMO as fabulous as it is - and it is FABULOUS, it is almost an "always on" pedal for me, I love mine to pieces - I wouldn't call it an original or unique fuzz. I've tried a number of other superfuzzes, and while the Attack Goat is IMO the best of the bunch, they are all clearly within the same family.

FilterFunk likes this.
  19. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Thanks for the info!

blindrabbit likes this.
  20. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    A good copy of the blue box is the DOD Buzz Box but its real pricey nowadays !! I got mine when they were new when you couldn't *give* them away around 95-96, I never played anything like it(but I never tried the blue box either)... Not sure if the mxr had this feature, but the buzz box also had an octave up sound as well as an 2 octave down thing, it was pure crazy sounding!!

Made a nice profit off it a few years ago:)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021