'Unique' and original design fuzzes;...what's out there and what's good?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cnltb, Nov 29, 2015.

1. WMD Geiger Counter

It is a Bitcrusher/Sample Rate Reducer, not a fuzz, but it can create unique fuzz tones. It can also make great overdrive, distortion, 8bit, glitch tones. I remember @sillyfabe had many examples of some awesome settings.

FilterFunk and Hallic like this.
  2. Novv

Novv

Oct 30, 2015
    ON, Canada
    Paradox makes some unique fuzz pedals like the Fuzz-E Cat or Defibrillator.

CHILDISHGAMBINO likes this.
  3. ChefKen

ChefKen

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    i am playing with these two currently....The Extortion/Distortion does fuzz....the Bee Buzz does clean boost and killer fuzz. The Extortion IMG_0180.JPG two fuzz.jpg is totally unique and WAAAAY underrated. The Bee Buzz just rocks!!!

blindrabbit likes this.
  4. bass.bert

bass.bert

Dec 27, 2009
    Seems to be a clone of the Roland Bee Baa...

5. Love the BeeBuzz, very high on my GAS tome. I believe it's bassed ;) on the Roland Bee Baa.

blindrabbit, Jared Lash and ChefKen like this.
  6. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    PLL is my favorite "fuzz" lol

jasonmitsch likes this.
  7. ofajen

ofajen

Apr 12, 2007
    92.4W 38.9N
    Anything from Metasonix. Be warned, their website copy is not polite, nor are their devices.

Otto

8. Oooo good call... Still want an Agonizer with the cartoon whipping... No, best not explore that company's pedals while at work.

There's a guy on TB who uses his POG2, IIRC, as his fuzz! Or maybe it was only overdrive... Im gettin' old. What day is it today? Who are you? What medicine? I don't take any medicine, get away from me...

CHILDISHGAMBINO likes this.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Human Gear Animato.

10. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    Like I say, it's like having Gary Busey in a pedal.

CHILDISHGAMBINO and JimmyM like this.
  11. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I love the original Frantone Lo-Tone.

12. PokeyPrasch

PokeyPrasch Son of the Angry

Aug 19, 2013
    Terrace Heights, WA
    None
    I didn't see the Idiotbox StaticFuzz mentioned but I'm not 100% sure if it's an original.

I like mine, very cool range of sounds, it can be a bit noisy and doesn't always play nice with others.

CHILDISHGAMBINO and nshuman like this.
  13. Idiotbox Dungeon Master is definitely worth checking out. It is basically a mish mash of the Boss HM-2 and FZ-2. Really brutal and out there sounding, not a tame sit in the mix kind of fuzz at all. I love it.

CHILDISHGAMBINO and gregmon79 like this.
  14. You are far more qualified to speak on it than I am. :)

15. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    Most of Devi Ever's designs are pretty unique. She's known for experimenting and throwing circuits together in a random haphazard way just to see what happens, rather than the strict design approach that most take!

16. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Yeah I used to have one. I dug it. But I ended up flipping mine because I felt I could cover most the same ground with a muff. Not sure if it's muff based or not. That static feature was pretty cool though. Great little fuzz pedal.

17. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO Inactive

May 4, 2006
    Courtenay, BC, Canada
    I was going to mention the Gnome but it is technically two clones making sweet, sweet love. It's my favorite pedal of all time but it is a BrassMaster gently violating a Muff(ok maybe it's not that gentle :)). It is totally unique and awesome though!

Try these settings I posted in the Fuzz Lover thread if you haven't yet:

I've found that it doesn't need the cleanish blend if you dial the cleanish volume and tone in you don't lose any lows in magic mode. My favorite setting is both diodes left, octave off, tone switch in the middle, volume around 7 o'clock, tone either cranked or backed off just a little, gate around 9ish or 10ish, gain 2 or 3 o'clock, cleanish between 10 and 12, cleanish tone noon or anywhere from 7(off)to noon - usually 10 or 11ish. From there you can just flick diode one to the middle and then you've got another of my favorite settings from which you can crank the gain, turn the octave on, put it in mundane:)))mode and roll you tone off on you bass and favor your neck pickup and you have an awesome snotty octave sound. Depending on your bass you may have to adjust the gate a little for the octave - it oscillates like a motha humpa.

I was messing around the other day and instead of both diode switches left in the first setting I flicked the 1st diode to the right and 2nd to the left all other settings the same except fuzz volume up a little bit. I got a very nice kinda old-school creamy fuzz - very doomy.

Gabbs likes this.
  18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

The Silver Rose Fuzz has been on my wishlist for awhile (haven't pulled the trigger because I don't like the current white/gray color scheme :wideyed:), but I don't know how much it's based on existing designs.

The video is funny... as in funny weird!

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Toneczar Vault germanium fuzz. I do not yet own this pedal, but I'm on the wait list. It was highly recommended by a fuzz fanatic friend, and Ed Rembold the builder said it's a unique design. In fact in my conversation with him, he said "I’m not big on covering existing songs/tones with my product line, if that is your goal, it may be best to look at more conventional products. If your goal is to do something new, that is a better fit for my product line." I told him I already had conventional products and wanted something different, so please put me on the list.

In the video below you can hear standard fuzz tones, but the two octave up settings provide some interesting coolness.

20. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    I think it's a Muff and Superfuzz derivitave in one pedal. But it's an awesome combo!

Aen is a funny dude!

vegas532 and Fuzzbass like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021