1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Unique cheap basses similar to 60's japanese copies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WilliamSandoval, Aug 8, 2012.

1. I have $200, and I kinda want a new bass. I don't want to just buy a Squier or something. I want something unique. Like a Peavey T-40 or something similar. In the 60's and 70's, japanese companies copied Fender, but their basses were unique but also really cheap. I want something like that. Any ideas?

2. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    I have owned and tinkered with nearly all of the vintage Asian basses. They stopped making these unique instruments about 25 years ago.

Sorry, but $200 won't buy you much.

3. I'll probably spend more than 200, but since I have 200 right now burning a hole in my pocket, might as well see if there's a bass out there that's that cheap, you know?

4. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    The Dean Hillsboro series is said to be pretty good. Rondo has a few that are good as well.

The other offerings tend to be too hit-or-miss.

5. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Teisco, Greco, kawai, or Aria. You can also search
    eBay under vintage matsumoku; a few things may come up but may not be that cheap. Maybe leave out matsumoku. Just search variations of old/Japan/MIJ.

6. I actually think I'm gonna go with an Epiphone EB3. Thanks anyway though!

7. teesquared

teesquared

Jul 15, 2010
    I have an 80's Aria Pro RSB-600 in decent condition.
    Its in Japan so postage might be an issue for you.
    If interested pm me and I will send some pix.

Regards - Tee.