Unique/custom Pickguards

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OblivionBass, Sep 19, 2005.

1. OblivionBass

Jul 3, 2005
    I dont actually have one, but I was just curious to see who has the seiext pickguards (like custom, ones with art/drawings on them, ect.)

And this is a really noobie quesiton, but how do I take the knobs off a precision so I can get my pickguard off? (I have a squire p-bass)
  2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    You pull them ;)
  3. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    yep just give me a nice tug and theyll pop off
  4. Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005
    I think P bass knobs have little screws in them. Use a small alan wrench to loosen them, then they'll slide right off.
  5. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    ...unless they have screws on the side...in which case you loosen the screw.

On the topic of pickguards...

Beware of over-pimping your bass. What might seem REALLY KEWL today may wind up being embarrassing down the road.

Simple, understated and classic NEVER gets old. Black body, tort guard. Sunburst body, black guard. Lake Placid Blue, white guard. White body, tort guard. You get the idea. Combos like this have staying power.

Eddie Van Halen red with white and black masking tape strips might have been da chiznit back in 1986, but it's over. It was probably over the moment the guitar manufacturers started doing it.

Consider the case of some poor schmuck with a Def Leppard logo tatooed on his butt when that was a BADASS thing to do. Now that he's in his late 40s and has a waistline bigger than his wife's was when she was pregnant, I'm sure that looks REALLY cool. NOT.

Consider clothes. You will always look sharp in a nicely cut, dark blue, conservative pinstripe suit. It's timeless. It looks as good now as it did 50 years ago. It'll look just as good 50 years from now.

But if you become a slave to fads or fashion, you'll regret it...sooner or later. You either have to change constantly to keep up, or look like a geek in three months when the fashion changes.

I had a bass once that I painted a Scottish lion rampant on, because my heritage is Scottish. What a cool thing it was...for about a month.

Keep it simple, keep it classy.

IMHO. If you want to pimp your bass, go for it. Draw your own conclusions in five years.
  6. You could add black with perloid guard to that list, but that's just my personal favourite!

Oh, I kinda liked Def Leppard, never got the tat tho!

7. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    My Fender P-Bass is yellow pickguard on black. Looks nice I think! I kept it simple, at least until I can get a tortiseshell guard.
  8. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Too right.
  9. I agree totally but since we're talking about pickguards here I think it's perfectly allright to go with a trend. I mean, a pickguard is like the pants of a bass. Jeans will never go out of style but there was a time when lots of people wore bellbottoms(twice :rolleyes: ).
  10. LowDownDave

Sep 9, 2005
    Or you could do what I did and get a clear pickguard and just insert different designs/pictures underneath it, that way when you get sick of 'em you can just change 'em.

And a clear pickguard alone on whatever colour your guitar is without anything underneath it I believe qualifies as "timeless" :D