1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

SOLD Unique fretless inspired by Lee Sklar's double reverse P Frankenbass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by TimBosby, Aug 4, 2017.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Price:
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    I'm trimming down to essentials since my wife is in between jobs. This unique bass began its life as a USA-made G&L SB-1 (split P-bass style) from the 90s. It has been modified to mimic Leland Sklar's famous double reverse P "Frankenbass" (shown here.) Originally, it was fretted and, with its original maple neck, looked like this. Then, I sold the original maple neck and had Andrew Drake of Drake Custom Bass make me a fretless neck. I also modified the control cover in the center with some faux-maple contact paper. The result was this.

Here are the specs. All work and modification expertly done by Andrew Drake, a master craftsman whose attention to detail is second to none.

-Maple body - natural flame to the wood. Originally sunburst, stripped and refinished in a transparent amber finish which looks fantastic. The pickguard holes were plugged - you can see where they were, up close, but otherwise not really noticeable due to Andrew's fantastic attention to detail.
    -Reverse P pickup routs placed directly above and below the original pickup rout. Active EMG pickups installed and they sound great. Control plate made from plastic and EMG knobs added. Vol/Vol/Tone are the controls.
    -Roasted maple neck done by Andrew Drake. 1.625" at the nut, 7.25 radius, feels amazing. Pau ferro board with light finish on the board. Simply the greatest fretless neck I've ever touched. The original 3 bolt neck was professionally converted to four-bolt and designed to use ferrules instead of a neck plate. The neck has a micro-tilt neck adjustment access point. I've never used it but you are free to try it if you'd like.
    -Custom black plastic cover put over original pickup rout, which houses two 9V batteries. I had a sticker on the cover, and then it didn't fully come off so I put sheets off faux "maple" contact paper over it and smoothed it as best I could. I applied a little dark tung oil to darken it up and let it dry. It is a little bumpy and not perfect but I think it blends fairly well with the rest of the body.
    -Original G&L powder-coated black bridge
    -Black Hipshot Ultra Light tuners
    -Labella black tapewound strings
    -I am not sure but I think the bass is between 8 and 9 lbs.

I have probably close to $2000 into it but will take $850 plus actual FedEx Home Delivery shipping (PM me for a quote.) Lower 48 preferred. Not really interested in trades unless you have an offer that involves a chunk of cash coming to me.

Pictures in various lighting:

20170603_115216.jpg 20170219_170435.jpg 20170603_115245.jpg 20170219_170408.jpg 20170603_115210.jpg 20170219_170420.jpg 20170219_170449.jpg 20170219_170504.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    59jazz likes this.
  2. bassvirtuoso

bassvirtuoso My God, it's full of chrome! Gold Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    Great bass, can vouch for it!

3. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I should note that I would trade for a Fender Noel Redding Jazz Bass.

4. marcwhy

marcwhy

Apr 21, 2012
    Really nice bass!
    A few questions, please:
    - How easy is it to change the batteries under there?? Can you pull off a quick switch at a gig if needed??
    - do you and Drake recommend the tape-wound strings, or will regular flats kills the fretboard?
    - [any vids or audio of you playing it?]

Thanks!

Marc

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  5. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Hi @marcwhy and thanks

1. Fairly easy. There are four screws in the corners of the cover. Two 9V batteries underneath. You could easily remove and swap at a gig. I'd say approximately as long as replacing the battery in a pedal.
    2. Regular flats should be fine. The fingerboard has a light coating on it, and pau ferro is a very dense and hard wood anyway....more so than rosewood. We just chose tapewound because of the unique sound on fretless. You could use flats or even rounds.
    3. No videos of me playing it as fretless. But the sound clips in my signature ("Live at O'Leavers") are me playing it when it had a fretted maple neck.

6. marcwhy

marcwhy

Apr 21, 2012
    Awesome, thanks for responding!

7. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Would very much like to sell and ship this week! :)

8. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Sold.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021