1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TRADED Unique MTD fretless 535 neck-through hollow-body

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by clbass, Jan 6, 2018.

1. clbass

clbass Supposing Member Gold Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, D'Addario, AccuGroove
    Price:
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    MTD535fretless_000.
    MTD535fretless_002.

For trade is a unique MTD lined fretless 535 neck-through hollow-body. The body is a stunning birdseye maple, and the board and headstock cap are an equally stunning ebony. The top is a beautiful western red cedar, which has two small cracks by the bridge which were filled with epoxy by Mike Tobias many years ago, confirmed with Mike. They are stable, and while they are noticeable (see photos), even more eye-catching is the custom in-body bridge.

The MTD description of the electronics: The new zero noise active pick up and electronics are custom made by Bill Bartolini. The controls are: master volume and a pan pot, (treble is on a trim pot inside the cavity), mid, bass cut and boost, with center click (from neck to bridge). The three position switch selects the mid range cut and boost point. Down is lower mids, center is middle and up is upper mids. When the mid pot is at center click, the switch has minimal effect. This eq has 2 batteries and is a +/- 9 volt system. Be especially careful not to change the batteries when the bass is plugged in. There is a trim pot inside the control cavity to adjust the gain. The Vector bridge (piezo), designed by Ned Steinberger, has 2 modes. The second switch selects the plucked, bowed or blended mode.

From the previous owner: the three switchable modes give more or less emphasis to the acoustic sound of the hollow body. The pickup combination can cover a wide range of tones, from typical electric fretless to serious upright territory.

Specs:

Birdseye maple hollow body
    Maple neck-through
    Ebony fretboard and headstock cap
    Western cedar top
    35" scale
    24 fret lines
    Bartolini pickup
    Custom bridge with piezo pickups
    Bartolini preamp
    Includes MTD hardshell case

MTD535fretless_001. MTD535fretless_002. MTD535fretless_003. MTD535fretless_004. MTD535fretless_005. MTD535fretless_006. MTD535fretless_008. MTD535fretless_010. MTD535fretless_011. MTD535fretless_012. MTD535fretless_013. MTD535fretless_014. MTD535fretless_015. MTD535fretless_016. MTD535fretless_017. MTD535fretless_018. MTD535fretless_MikeT. MTD535fretless_020. MTD535fretless_022.

This was a fun experiment and a wonderful bass, but 34" is my preferred scale so I would like to trade for a 34" scale Fodera or MTD, fretted or fretless, 17-18mm. As for value, per Mike this would cost $9k-$10k to build today. Factor in the repaired top. NYC/NJ area contact me to check it out in person.

I will also consider other trades. Amps, Verellen or Jule. Cabs, newer AccuGroove only. Pedals, maybe Spaceman. Please use PM/Conversation for all offers, thanks.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    TalHaz, bass08053, Federighi and 3 others like this.
  2. Federighi

Federighi

Jun 19, 2011
    Burlingame, CA
    Wow what a bass! And I thought I'd moved on from MTD's. GLWS.

clbass likes this.
  3. clbass

Sep 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Possible deal in the works. If you have an offer let me know ASAP.

4. clbass

Sep 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Deal pending... last call for offers