Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

unique technique

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Garry Goodman, Feb 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I have developed a unique technique I called "percussive harmonics" which is especially effective for 6 plus string el. basses.I really fine tuned this technique after twenty years of seven string bass playing.Anyone interested in hearing this technique,let me know,or if anyone has a suggestion on where to take a method book and cd to a publisher,please let me know-thanks

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    you want to describe the technique?

3. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    a brief description is : each finger of the right hand(if you play right handed) strikes the string like a piano hammer.depending where you strike,you change the harmonic.You are playing "closed" harmonics-chromatically,chords and each note is a harmonis with a clear percussive attack-sounds like a vibraphone or tubular chimes.You can play intense groves on one or all of the strings at the same time.You can play 64th note runs and hear every pitch.It's not like stick technique.I would be happy to get you an audio sample,I just haven't figured out how to put one on this site yet(just joined yesterday. with some practice you can play several parts at once,like the tumbao,clave and chord in an Afro-Cuban groove. I hava a tune," Haleakala" ,and if I can get a sound file up,you'll hear the technique used in place of drums and Bass,and a serious chromatic solo,all in harmonics.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Ah yes...I thought so, I have been doing that for a year now, It is VERY awesome. When I first stumbled upon all the different artificial harmonics and ways to make them, I started exploring the possibilities of tapping harmonics, tapping harmonics chords. You certainly have more experience under your belt and I would like to hear an audio clip.

probably the easiest way to do that is to First record yourself, then set up an account with a free webpage host(geocities isn't a bad first) then upload the clip to the webpage that you create and then post the link here.

http://geocities.com/variant08

is mine

I just noticed that you Already have a homepage..so just upload the files you record and post a link here

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    That sounds interesting ninestring- I ahve jsut started getting into the whole tapping world myself due to a lot of wooten exposure lately. Let us know when you get the sample up. You could always start an account at MP3.com I believe..
    Oh, and welcome to TB!! :D

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I don't think you can describe tapped harmonics as unique, but it would certainly be interesting to hear what you've done with it.

As far as publishing a method book, I guess you could contact the regular round of publishers, although without a big profile / lots of albums sold making people want to learn the technique it may be a struggle; the other alternative is to self publish via the web (either the whole lot if you're feeling generous or a sampler + an address to send for a CD or something if you want to see if it's marketable).

Wulf

7. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    When I say it's unique,I'm saying I've spent 35 years perfecting it. "Tapping" is a broard term.I've been tapping like on a Chapman stick for 28 years,but that is really "touching." When I bought the stick,it was called the stick Touchboard. my "Percussive Harmonic" technique is a refined system,giving the player total control of every note.I've recorded a number of instrumentals in which the entire bass part is played using this technique.I've had my compositions market tested with 3 and 4 star ratings from BillBoard.FM Quarteback,Gavin etc. They rate the composition for airplay,and don't seem concerned with bass technique.I am not trying to make big dollars here.merely pass on a sound for el. bass that is as radical as slapping was when Larry G. and ,then Stanley C. exposed a genertion of players to it.
    Learning "percussive harmonics" is no cake walk.When I had Musicians union local 47 create a "percussive harmonics" category in the musicians directory in the 70's,I was amazed because a number of player listed themselves in that category. My "percussive harmonics" is not like anything you've heard any one play/I've been waiting for some player to come out and play this way,but it just hasn't happened.It seem some bass players don't like inovation.When I modified my 6 string basss into a 7 string (circa 1978) I showed up on gigs and got flack from guitar players.I called everywhere to find a ready made 7 string(there were none),ken Smith tried in 1981,and couldn't do it at that time(I lost a $400 deposit).The only guy who said yes,I can do it was Michael Tobias,and I gave him my string spacing and he built it.Soon after that,everyone was making 7 string basses.They weren't built with percussive harmonics in mind,so they are completely different instruments.You'll have to hear an audio file.I'll work on getting several examples up-

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    do you have a particular question for steve lawson or michael manring, or did you place this in the wrong forum?

just curious, you are aware that this forum is for questions for them specifically, right?

9. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    my original question is at the top of the page.would anyone be interested in a unique bass technique,and can anyone recommend an avenue to expose the method to those who are interested? Although I have been union musician for 32 years ,with live and recording experience,I don't consider myself a "Pro".I am asking for some professional guidance/help with presenting a very unique playing technique to bassist.I am new here so I thought you and the others were answering the questions-??????

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Though you did present a question relating to the outer limits of bass(new and inventive techniques that is) You did not specifically ask Michael or Steve, granted they would likely be interested in what you have been doing, If you want more general responses from a wider variety of users, then relocating to the "techniques" forum may prove satisfactory. The purpose for John's inquiry was to determine whether your post should stay or be moved accordingly, so as to better suit you in getter the response you are looking for. If what you were looking for was Steve Lawson's thoughts on your technique, or Michal Manring's perspective, then by all means posting here would yield the results you wanted, but you did not specify, so it is hard to tell.

11. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I apologize for any confusion. I thought by asking a question at this location,i would be addressing both,or either one.My label to be "Black Diamond records" folded soon after contacting me about a record deal in 2001.They market tested the recordings,and they came back with great results. They didn't notice the bass parts,but rather the maketbility of the tunes.The recordings were 7 string bass and nylon classical guitar.Just a duo.Non players could not discern who was playing what,but a noted guitarist/educator ,Sid Jacobs , mentioned that even musicians would need to see a performance to see there were only two musicians playing.it occured to me tht this technique could open up yet another avenue /direction for the electric bass,and really justifies having a 6.7+ string instrument.I would either one or both of these gentlemen's input. If this is not the place for thi kind of dicussion and quetions maybe you could direct me to other pro players who might have suggestions.Thanks

12. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    Yes , I have questions for them. That is why I posted here.How do they(you?) suggest I expose this technique?Do I put up some clips here?

13. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Ninestring,

The technique you specifically describe in your post has been used a lot before, particularly by acoustic guitarists (Michael Hedges, Phil Keaggy and Don Ross come to mind, amongst others), and John Entwistle does it on a Hotlicks teaching tape from a few years back... I experimented with it for a while after hearing the Entwistle tape while at college, playing tunes, arpeggio patterns and some cluster chords like that... it is a very interesting technique.

If you want to post a link to some MP3s, feel free, it's always good to hear what people are doing to stretch the available sound pallette on the bass...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

14. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I was taught the technique in 1989. I also would like to hear some Mp3's.

15. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    Steve, thanks for your reply! Maybe I shouldn't put a " how to" book or CD together after all .I didn't realize so many players could play this way. Well, hopefully I didn't waste the last thirty five years developing an already existing technique ,re inventing the wheel so to speak:(. Thanks for your time and input.

16. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    You might not be able to patent it but we'd certainly like to hear how you've used the technique to make music. Get those sound samples up! (please ;) )

I remember when, as a teenager fairly new to the instrument, I decided that my mission was to become a virtuoso bass player, lifting the instrument from obscurity in the background of songs and breaking exciting new ground. Little did I realise that it had all been done before... (and I still haven't quite got to the level of virtuoso) - however, that certainly doesn't invalidate what I have learned and given back over the years.

Wulf

17. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi ninestring

Wulf's point is extremely important - it certainly wasn't a waste of your time to develop your technique, any more than it was a waste of time for people who learn to play with other techniques that are already in use. Remember, it's way way way more important to be 'good' than it is to be original. Given the choice between writing great music that is within a clear musical heritage - not ground breaking, just really good, and playing something that no-one else has done before, but then realising there's a good reason no one has done it before, I'd go with the former.

If the music that you're making has meaning for you, and as you say, the people listening to it are connecting with it as 'music' not as a technique display, you've won! Well done, keep at it, and let us here those MP3s!

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

18. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    Thank for the input.Wulf,i agree with what you re saying.As a composer/arranger ,I hear other options for 7+ sting basses.They are a "different animal" and I feel they should be utilized to the fullest. I guess i isolated the technique for this "thred" and didn't want to bring compoition aor my other experience as a bass player. i have worked as a A.F.M. union bass player since 1970. i worked in night club s,hotel show room,cruise ships,corporate events etc.playing for classic recording acts like the coasters,the penguins,frankie avalon,thelma houston,little anthony etc. Tuxedo gigs,reading charts (notation)and playing the standard with duos all the way up to big band.I also have composed,produced and played bass on hundreds of jingle,TV and film sessions ,many of which were done through my own union company.I became good sight reader and click track player.
    on the side,I developed my original music,and playing techniques for seven string bass.I wanted to play what I hears in my head. back in the late 70's,there were no 7 string basses.I had guitar shop tech guys add a string to my microfret 6 and fender bass 6.I asked ken smith in1981,but ,at that time he was unable to do it.a few years later michael tobia built one for me.he did a great job,so i was able to switch from my home made model to this bass easily. the technique sounded better on a real 7 string.i thought it was new to play an afro-cuban groove,playing the tumba,clave at the same time in harmonics.i am trying to get a few one minute clips of some music I did back then up for you to hear.I don't know how to up load mp3's here,so I'll come back on and post url when they are up,along with descriptions of what's on there.

19. I'm a fairly new bass player but , I think that once they hear what you've made they will all be suprised I just have a feeling... It's interesting what you have accomplished and I am BEYOND excited to hear what you've done... I plan to become a professional bass player and start my own band someday... I'm eagerly awaiting you music Ninestring... chop chop! j/k:D

20. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    Thats a nice thing to read Sojhen- you probably are right. Steve,and Wulf and everyone have made some good points.I was happy to wander on to this site. I am trying to fit some examples on a 10 meg web site provided by my cable company.It isn't much space for all the examples I wanted to post,but it's a start.As soon as I know it works,I'll post the address and give some explanations.I think I'll make them quick time movie audio files.I'll get back here when it works,thanks-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.