1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

United Airlines can burn

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mr L, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Coming home from a vacation and on the last o 4 flights to Vancouver BC and the flight is just 2 hours long (from San Fransisco to van) and so far the flight has been delayed 3 hours.

This wouldn't be such a problem if at 6am (10 mins before it was suppose to leave) they didn't announce over and over that "the plane has been parked overnight and will be here any minute"

so plane shows up (hour and a half later) and they tell very one to get ready to board and first class go on, then they say there's a problem with the oil light so everyone has to get off.

Still sitting here and they continue to delay it after after hour.

I haven't slept more that 20 minutes at a time in over 3 days because of traveling. Not in a good state of mind to be ****ed with.

/rant

2. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Maybe it's just me, but I'd take a delay over falling from the sky at 400 mile and hour.

Deep breaths man, delays DO suck, but there are worse things :D

3. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    All of the airlines these days seem to operate in a barely controlled chaos mode.
    It is absolutely no fun to fly any more and I won't do it unless I have to.

4. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Delays I understand but straight making things up to toy with my mind is just pure bull ****.

Also all the united airline employees have just left for breakfast or something so I guess I should expect a few more hours.

So close to home, yet so far.

5. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Maybe make a bit of a stink to get a comp. flight? I've been upgraded to first class from a lengthy layover before, but then again, that was Southwest. I can't remember the last time I flew on A.A.. Not since Eastern was still around I think.

I said eastern in my mind and wrote eagle... wth.. I need more coffee.

6. Not had any experience with UA. Though when flying I've found that it's certainly worth paying a bit more on a good flight provider. Flown a few times with the cheapy ones recently (EasyJet being the most recent one). Cripes, not fun, not fun at all.

7. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    I flew United Express from St Louis to Syracuse round trip recently. Connecting flights in DC, Dulles going and Chicago, O'Hare on the return.

The connecting flight at Dulles was at the opposite end of the airport, we had to run to make it. We get to Syracuse and my luggage has been rerouted, would not arrive for at least five hours. We had to rent a car and drive six hours into Quebec to make a gig with no time to wait. So I ended up wearing my traveling clothes for three days and for the gig.

The return flight was delayed because a "panel had fallen off the plane on the previous flight, and we're trying to determine if it's safe to fly". After an hour wait the decide to go ahead with the flight and board the plane. We sit there for 20 minutes in the plane with no AC, then they decide the plane is not good to go. It seems some vestige of the hinge and access panel were still hanging off the plane and needed to be secured or removed. So we deboard and wait another hour. Finally we board and take off two and a half hours late. So we get to O'Hare just in time for a thunderstorm, which causes us to sit on the runway for an hour.
    Then our connecting flight to St Louis is cancelled (after getting conflicting stories for an hour) and the next flight out will be the next morning. Because it was weather related, we are not entitled to rooms or meals. However, had it not been for the initial mechanical related delay, we would have arrived well before the storm and been able to fly home. We said #^@& it and drove a rental to St Louis.

Sign next to door on plane. (It was a United Express flight, in spite of the "Continental" on the sign)

[​IMG]

"Star treatment"

[​IMG]

8. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Every airline has delays.
    Every airline has mechanicals.
    Every airline ops go haywire.

Give me the name of your employer so that I make sure I never use their products or services because one of their employees whines.

(catch the analogy?)

Have fun and enjoy the peanuts.

Next time fly Westjet.:D

9. Gaius46

Gaius46

Dec 15, 2010
    Why do you think they were making things up? I used to drive planes for a living. Abnormal indications, even when there are backups to the backup systems are taken very seriously. The pilot doesn't want to get smeared all over the ground any more than you do.

Last year I took my wife on a business trip with me. We flew Delta and were delayed for 2 hours leaving New York for Tampa. Delta gave us a $200 voucher each for a future flight. Paid for half of the travel to Mexico for vacation last year.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Somewhere, the bad guys are laughing at what a cluster flying has turned in to.

I used to fly quite a bit for work, and I would get nervous driving to the airport. The flying wasn't the problem, it was the airport and the people in it that bothered me. More so the passengers. I don't remember any major problems with airline/port employees. It was always the passengers who seemed to think they should be treated like royalty. Sorry folks, flying on an airplane isn't the luxurious adventure reserved for the wealthy like it once was.

-Mike

11. I'm not even overly fussed with the security parts, they don't tend to hold things up much. It's the shrinking seat sizes, I'm lucky I left the last flight with my kneecaps still attached!

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yeah, that too. A website I found beneficial when I flew more often was seatguru.com. You can look up the airline you are flying, then the type of plane, and it will tell you about the good and bad seats on the different planes.

I saw a commercial on TV recently about how if other businesses treated customers like the airlines treat passengers, they wouldn't be around long. Can you imagine going out to eat and being forced to sit shoulder to shoulder with people you don't know? Some of them coughing/sneezing on you?

-Mike

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Because surely theyre doing this just to mess with your mind.

Yup. Its a bus, in the sky. SkyBus.

14. SkyNet?
    :bag:

15. Wrong thread. See the "Terminator" thread.;)

16. I don't fly much anymore, but I always expect delays when I do. I make sure to bring a good long book or two, plenty of cash, and allow an additional day at the end of my trip in case I get stuck somewhere.

17. drerio

drerio

Aug 8, 2010
    All too true... let me recommend a good read for anyone planning on traveling. "Attention All Passengers..." by William J. McGee.

Those codes used on your ticket, they know where you bought it from (Expedia, Orbitz, etc...) and you may become a second class passenger. Oh, and the ticket agent in the uniform, probably a temp and not a representative of the airlines. The maintenance, typically is done by sub- sub- subcontractors. After reading it I almost cancelled my trip to PA this summer.

18. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    So 5 hours of sitting in san Fransisco airport (which is lovely btw especially when you're in a sleep deprived state) finally got on the plane. Then we sat on the runway for 2 hours. Thankfully I passed out almost instantly and woke up in Vancouver.

Also I'm nearly 100% sure they were messing with our minds.
    Exhibit A:
    I fall asleep and then after 20 mins or so I get shocked awake by the announcer
    Flight people: "this is an announcement that boarding for the flight bla bla to Vancouver will begin shortly.....but we regret to inform you we are being delayed another half hour."

Messing with my emotions I tell ya

EDIT: Forgot to add they lost my luggage. Fantastic.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I think catching up on your sleep will help you feel better about the ordeal. Turn off your computer, and go to sleep. :D

-Mike

20. Lol....... Can you imagine discovering that during your meal, the restaurant has traveled hundreds and hundreds of miles??
    : D