1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Universal Audio 710 Twin-Finity

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by insomniac2295, Sep 6, 2008.

1. I'd like to hear this in conjunction with a power amp and a nice cab :] Just saw it today in my Sweet Water catalog. Can I say GAS?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/710/

It has a tube AND solid state design PLUS blend control for the two!

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That does look nice! The only downside I see (other than the price and size ;) ) is that like most mic preamps it only has one output, so you can't use it as both a DI and a preamp simultaneously without using an external balanced line splitter. Also if you like the basic concept, check out the Summit TD-100, which also features blendable solid-state and tube stages, it's half the size, it's less expensive, and it has two parallel outputs so it can be used as a pre and a DI simultaneously. :) But don't get me wrong, that UA unit does look sweet and I'd love to try one sometime.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    really? blendable? more like a *pre-blended* mix. ;)

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Yeah the Summit's blending is weird; the solid-state channel is 'on' 100% all the time, and the tube channel is then blended on top of that by whatever amount you want. So it's not as controllable as the UA there, but since you can dial out the tube channel completely, or dial in as much as you want, it's not as "pre-set" as you seem to be saying.

5. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    :D:DSame concept for the Presonus Tubepre, although I think the quality might be better:D

6. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    The TD100 doesn't have a solid state pre and isn't blendable.
    You probably mean 2BA-221 ?

http://www.summitaudio.com/

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The way I described it above was the way it was described to me by one of the people at Summit when I asked them for an explanation of the gain control on the TD-100. Either they misunderstood me and thought I was asking about the 2BA, or I misunderstood them, or the description is correct.

Edit: to be clear, it's entirely possible that I did misunderstand them- I'm only 'rebutting' here to explain why I posted what I did, not to insist that I was right. ;)

8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I realize this is an ancient thread...
    ...I've been using one of these with a PLX3102 for some time now and I love it. The lack of 1/4" output is inconvenient worth working around for me.