University has screwed me again

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Chris J, Dec 10, 2005.

1. I'll begin this rant by giving you a little background so you can put this into the right context. This is my last year of university and that means that if I fail anything, I'm there for another semester as opposed to taking another summer course. So this year really counts for a lot.
    Here's where the rant begins. I checked my exam schedule and everything seemed fine. I had two take-home finals in the form of essays, the rest were typical finals. My first final, according to the university website which provides the entire student body with timetables and exam timetables, was on Dec the 7th. So two hours before the deadline I go to my professor's office to hand in my office and have a quick chat with him about his research. I get there and he's gone (not surprised) but what did surprise me was on his door it said "Reminder: the final is due on the 6th of december blah blah blah" So I freak out, hand in my final anyway and check my exam schedule once more. Sure enough, the school tells me it's due on the 7th. So I did a little digging to find out if I was going to get screwed or not, it seems to be the school should take responsibility. Apparently, when the prof sets an exam date he tells the school, he can then change the exam date without telling the school and that is fine: it's not fine with me. Luckily for me, I found a loophole. The 7th is the first official day for finals which means the final cannot be due on the 6th. That means I get no late marks. But what made me very angry is that the school's policy on exams is, if they make a mistake and it causes me to fail an exam: it's up to the prof whether or not to let you take the final. They can say "too bad for you", pocket my $600 and send me packing. It seems to me that the timetable they give me is some sort of a legal document so that if they make a mistake and don't take responsibility, the onus is on them to make it right. To summarize, university = business, not school. :mad:

PS: I found another mistake on my exam schedule. :mad: :mad:
  2. I'm not sure if your summary is an assumption or a conclusion or a fond wish; however, I am sure that it is erroneous. A university is a bumbling conglomeration of people who are marvelously competent in very highly specific areas, but very few people who can "put the whole puzzle together". It is an extreme form of a bureaucracy for which the best operating assumption is that nothing will work right. It also doen't help that there is often a tripartite war going on between the students, faculty and administration.

I can understand your anger; I'd be pissed off also. Except for one occasion when I went to a major university (boy, was that a mistake!) I have made it a habit to stick to schools with less than 5,000 students where I can know each prof personally and many of the administration people also. I find that personal contact goes a long way to smoothing over the bumps in the road.
  3. I guess my summary was a little too broad. Let me rephrase that part. My professors 9 out of 10 times are excellent. It's just the administration I have problems with. They're rarely helpful and as always I've only been to my university so I can't really comment on other schools.
  4. Yeah, i know how you feel, our university website spends half the time down, altho i have been lucky to always get the right dates and stuff.

And you are right, they are a buisness, damn right they are £1,250 a year is a pretty tidy income! (when its from every student!)
  5. If it did turn out for the worst, I would just talk to your professor about it or send him an e-mail. They're people too, and are often quite reasonable. If I were in a similar situation, I could guarantee that most of my professors would make sure that I do not fail the exam for a bad reason if I contacted them about it. If you have payed attention in class, done your work, studied etc, it would make no sense at all for a reasonable professor to give you a failing grade on the final because of a misconception about the date.

And it works in a similar way where I go to school, where the administration sets the final exam schedule, but the professors can change their exams to whatever date they wish. Only 2 of my courses this semester follow the final exam schedule. Eg, in my statistics class, we are doing oral presentations instead of having a traditional written exam. Since this will take about 4 hours instead of the alloted 2 the university allows, we sat down in class and discussed what a good time to have the exam was, and made everyone aware of that date. However, unlike in your situation, the professors indeed can schedule finals before finals week. My finals week starts on monday, but I have already completed 2 exams.
  6. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    And therein lies the true vale of higher education. Not that you actually learn what you pay them to teach you, but that you learn how to deal with and triumph over, all the total BS you will encounter in the real world.

Shifting deadlines...unreasonable expectations...idiotic supervisors...
  7. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
  8. Couldnt have said it better myself
  9. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think this is the deepest truth I have heard in my entier life!
  10. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy

When did he tell you it was due in class/the syllabus?
  11. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I doubt a professor will respond to an e-mail regarding a grade. He/she might dismiss a late project or paper and move on to his break. On the other hand, in my second semester of college, I'd missed a final because I mixed up my final schedule. I called the instructor in her office and was able to take the test because I had to take it (as per her rule). I was lucky enough to take it the next morning.
  12. A grade? Iif there's a good reason, eg a misleading question etc and the professor agrees, which happens from time to time. Missing an exam for an understandable reason? Definitely. A good professor will not want to see a good student fail or take a huge grade hit for a dumb reason.
  13. I got really torqued at the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee. I had gone to a UW extension school, and took the basic English class. When I transferred to UWM they told me the credit for English 101 would not transfer and I would have to take it at UWM. I wasn't happy, but I did it anyway. Shortly before the drop date (and after the date where you'd get any money back) I got a letter saying I was repeating a course and I only needed to take the proficiency exam- So I dropped the course- I got an A- in the class the first time, and this is one of those 'write a dozen papers a week' classes. Then I find out I cannot take the proficiency test because I'd already enrolled in the class.

Bite me University of Wisconsin Milwaukee.