Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA OR ST OLAF

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by dragonetti11, Mar 14, 2004.

1. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    My college choices for next year are the University of Minnesota and St Olaf, both with a B.M. in performance. I know the U probably has better teachers, but on the other hand it's so big. The only real reason I like St. Olaf is the size. Can anyone here help me, maybe someone who went there or know the teachers better, or which teacher in the case of the U of M.
    Thanks

2. Well, Peter Lloyd is probably the best teacher in the state/region. I haven't studied with him, but two of my past teachers were students of his. He is also well known nationally as the principle of the MN orch. Chris Brown and James Clute are no slouches either.

I don't know much about the St Olaf bass teacher. I know that they have a fantastic Choir, and a strong history in that.

You have to make a decision based on your goals and skills. If your desire is to become a pro bassist in a major orchestra and you beleive you have the skills to hang in that scene, then UofM should be your choice. If you want to teach and play in smaller groups, or that's what your skills are more suited to, then St Olaf.

Do you wanna be a big fish or be in a big pond?