1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

University of music but why not bass ?!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by wishforbass, Sep 27, 2017.

1. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    Today I was searching for music university outside my country all around the world and find something weird all had double bass player courses and they had orchestra that used double bass but no bass guitar .
    Why is that ?
    Why should they wanna old huge instrument that has usually sound problem to be hear ?

I have small hand so bass guitar is kind of big for my hand but for switching to double bass ,well first my hands are so small and the instrument is so big and I don't think it's fun to travel a kilometer to play next note .
    What is the story behind university of music ?

Any idea ?

Should I try switch but isn't that huge weird things are too big and limit player who has small hand ?
    Doesn't double bass put extra pressure on wirst so we will have more injury ?!

Herrick likes this.
  2. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't come from the music-school world, so I'm guessing, but I think that part of it is that conservatory programs favor classical music and jazz. They tend to be the most musically complex forms and give the professors the most to do, so to speak. Bass guitar is a pretty new instrument, relatively speaking, and a lot of the genres that use it most are not so complicated that you need a conservatory degree to play them. I do think that Berklee in the US trains bass guitarists, though I don't know if the bass programs requires doubling on upright or not.

wishforbass likes this.
  3. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Cause bass is easy and even a caveman can do it durr. :bored:

I don't see this going smoothly.....

Epitaph04 and MrLenny1 like this.
  4. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    I went to University and did not play upright. Just look into a jazz program somewhere, or a non performance degree like composition, music education, music business etc..

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    @Roy Vogt didn't you go to North Texas and study bass? I thought I read that in your bio a gazillion years ago. :D Did you study electric bass there? I think a few other heavy hitters on bass went there too.

6. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    I attended both schools. At Berklee, you can study electric bass without ever touching an upright, if that's what you want. There is no electric bass principal at UNT--you study double bass there, with occasional opportunities to play electric.

hrodbert696 and two fingers like this.
  7. HandsFree

HandsFree

Dec 23, 2015
    Distances are bigger on a double bass, but it's a different technique.
    There are many upright players that have small hands, so that should not be an issue if you wish to explore it.
    Also, double basses come in different sizes so you can choose one that fits your physique.

Jhengsman, Andysoundbass and stigbeve like this.
  8. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    OP is in Iran so it might be a little bit harder to find a school offering a bass guitar program. Even here in Québec, I don't think anyone offers this.

9. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    He did mention that he was looking outside his country, all around the world.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  10. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    Damn ADD! :banghead:

hrodbert696 likes this.
  11. Whil57

Whil57

Aug 7, 2013
    Long Island
    As someone already mentioned Berkelee, also Five Towns College, where i went. Now this was years back- the modern or jazz theory is all inclusive (but classical people dont like it, so dont mix the two), you should also learn a little piano (helps in writing).They had some monster players as teachers, except the bass guy. Maybe thats changed.

12. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I'm not a smart man Jenny, but I know what bass is....:woot:

13. I was a performance major at the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee. I had started on bass guitar, years before.
    Although at school my principle instrument was the double bass, and played it in the UW Symphony, other quintets etc etc.
    But also played in the jazz band, and a few other groups, where I mostly played bass guitar.
    Studying double bass, and playing the classics opened up all kinds of new learning experiences, taught me to follow a conductor, helped with left hand technique, and gave me invaluable tools that I've been able to use throughout my musical life.
    I have been able to take on many interesting gigs other strictly standard style bass guitar players tended to turn down.

Korladis and tfer like this.
  14. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hello wishforbass! We talked about this in your previous thread. I don't think your hands are too small to play electric bass guitar. They look normal/average size to me. It is important to learn safe and comfortable technique to avoid injury!

Same is true on double bass. If you have good technique, then normal/average size hands are not a handicap. The double bass instructor at my school was less than five feet tall, with tiny hands. Another friend of mine plays double bass with only 9 fingers and a stump. With safe and comfortable technique, you too can play double bass without injury!

hrodbert696 likes this.
  15. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    The string bass is an instrument with a very long history, an established repertoire, an established pedagogy, and is seen as a "legitimate" orchestral instrument. It gets grouped with the instruments that make up a symphony orchestra, and participates in the recognition and acceptance all the other orchestral instruments receive. There's no place for an electric bass in a traditional orchestra, so it isn't offered as a degree by many long-established universities. Please don't kill the messenger, this is how it's regarded in academia, and I don't make the rules.

The electric bass is much younger on the scene, isn't an orchestral instrument, is looked upon as merely a "Rock n' Roll" instrument, and isn't recognized by the highest echelons of collegiate-level education. I don't get insulted by this, but I'm sure 93% of TB will be. Due to a dedication to modern Jazz, contemporary music, and student demand, electric is offered as a degree program at some schools. That said, I wouldn't go looking for highly regarded orchestra schools like Juilliard, Yale, Boston Conservatory, or Oberlin to offer any degrees in electric anytime soon. They'll tell you that straight out!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  16. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I'm not offended, but it would seem foolish to not offer something if there's enough interest. I wonder if the bluegrass instruments like banjo and mandolin are offered in music programs. Another group of instruments with a growing interest.

17. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    I doubt there's any electric players looking to study at orchestral schools. Their programs revolve solely around the performance and study of classical music. Still, you can study electric at some of those schools on a casual elective basis, but no degree in the instrument is offered. There's absolutely no shortage of options for electric players that want to pursue a degree anyway.

wishforbass and blue4 like this.
  18. AcridSaint

AcridSaint ベーシスト Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Raleigh
    I don't play well.
    You can study electric bass at ESP's music school in Japan. You will have to speak Japanese, however.

19. steelbed45

steelbed45 29 on Ignore

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    From an orchestration viewpoint, I would want a bass note with a solid fundamental, something the electric bass doesn't do as well, imo.
    It just seems...gimmicky to have an electric bass in an orchestral situation without a side note explanation.

Just my $.02

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have the smallest hands of any adult male I've ever met in my life, and I can play upright no problem. Of course I'm a real hack compared to those who study it classically :D but plenty of small-handed men and women play it much better. Don't let that be the deciding factor.

Jhengsman, tfer and MYLOWFREQ like this.