University of North Texas...and a few others

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pause, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    So, I'm looking to study music in college. I don't know what exactly I want to do, but I want to pursue music.

I'm auditioning for Florida State University (#1 choice) soon for DB, Florida International University, and University of North Texas.

I understand that of those three, UNT is the only one that offers electric bass programs. I'd like to also continue on BG and DB.

So, can anyone tell me more about the music programs of these schools? Right now, it looks like I'm going to UNT, but only because that's the only school i've been accepted into so far...

2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    All I can say is that UNT is an excellent music school, especially for jazz, and there have been some top notch musicians that have come out of there. They have one of the oldest (possibly THE oldest<?>) jazz degree programs in the nation. I think Jimmie Giuffrie and Herb Ellis went there among others.

brad cook
  3. I actually plan on going to UNT in a year or two when I transfer from community college...though I'll be studying business. It's a pretty cool place.
  4. I know a dude who was a double bass major at UNT. He got sick of the classical snobbery required to be a string major there, and knew that his professional options would be limited with a BG degree, so he switched out of music entirely and is now a graphic arts major. Kinda sad, but he still gigs and makes money at it.
  5. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    NIU (Northern Illinois University) has a great jazz program. One of the best in the country. I do not know if they offer electric bass studies. Call them and find out.
  6. Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    I wanna go to UNT. I do know they require proficiency on DB and electric by the time you graduate. You WILL play both. You can go in knowing one, but you'll come out knowing both...
  7. The word I get from my long friendship with several HS Band directors is that UNT, while one of the best schools for jazz in the nation, has such a restrictive admission policy for the program that often, fabulous players - students with real talent - aren't admitted because of tiny, inconsequential deficiencies in their resume. This has proven to be very frustrating for my friends because they will have recommended UNT, only to have their students rejected for such small reasons. The concensus of opinion is that there is an "invisible" requirement for admission that gets applied arbitrarily when assessing a students skill.
  8. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    Oh. My DB teacher graduated from UNT. He told me it was probably the best place to study music.

I have a new problem... and it's going to get off topic but it's my thread, so I'll tell anyway.

Yesterday I broke my left pinkie. Now for my audition at FSU in a few weeks, I've changed easier pieces and I'm only using the first 2 fingers (and a lot more shifting).

Since it looks like my performance audition is going to be absolute crap, do you think that I can "talk" them into accepting me into the music program, providing the once I'm in I can keep up? I am serious about continuing music in college.

So... who's a really persuasive person that can help me?

9. I can't imagine that you couldn't reschedule an audition because of a broken bone.
  10. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    If you want other schools to check out I'd say Chicago College of Performing Arts @ Roosevelt University. I've done some research on them and it seems like a good school. I'd like to go there if i can get in. :)

That's all
  11. Go for UNT it's great school in a great town. Denton, Tx has an excellent underground music plenty of places to play both jazz and rock. The bars are open till 2am and Texas women are hot. I came up here (Denton) in the late 80s to finish my RTVF degree and never left, I love this town.
  12. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    I'm sure I could reschedule, but I'm not too good in the first place. I just want to be able to know which words to use when I tell them that I know that I want to do this.
  13. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    bumpety bump bump

come on, i know there has to be some expert at sweet talkin