Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Univox 1061

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mzungu, Sep 22, 2004.

1. I've been playing bass for awhile, mainly as a hobby through a '65 Ampeg B-15N that I bought for cheap back in high school in the '80s when "vintage" stuff wasn't the rage. Since I figured I wasn't getting any younger I finally followed my dream and joined a band. For the last couple years I've been holding down the bass clef in a classic rock/blues band. Knowing that my B-15N wasn't going to compete with two guitarists, I went looking for a higher powered head. I wanted an Ampeg SVT, but I didn't want to spend the $$$. I looked into old Traynor tube heads and Fender Bassmans too on Ebay but they also get bid up and are somewhat pricey. I saw a Univox 1061 B-Group tube head in great shape rated at 105 watts on Ebay for a lot lot less and I decided to take a chance and buy it. Long story short, I've been really happy with this amp. I "bridge", if that's the correct term, the normal and bright channels, and it gets pretty loud and I think it sounds great. Needless to say I'm a "newbie" with amps so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I never see this tube amp mentioned in any tube head discussions on talkbass. Does anybody else have experience with or use this head? The amp expert in my band replaced the 6L6s with 6550s and I play it through an Eden 410XLT. Thanks.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    No experience with the Univox. I hope that the "amp expert" took into account that the heaters of the 6550s draw more current than those in 6L6s (adding stress to your power transformer) and rebiased your amp for the new power tubes.