Univox 1561 info?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mattbass6945, Nov 18, 2015.

1. i was offered a Univox 1561 amp in trade. my question is not one of value, but i've never heard one of these. anyone have any experiences, complaints or opinions on this amp? i know it has 150 watts and 6550's and has been serviced, looks to be in excellent condition and i do believe the seller to be trustworthy.

2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    mattbass6945 likes this.
  3. actually, funny story......that's the exact one. the guy who offered the trade to me, bought it off reverb.com and sent me that link. i don't think i have much to lose. i'll give it a go, see what happens.

mpdd likes this.
  4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    It's been ages since I've heard one of those heads -- guy in my band had one circa 1975 or '76 I think -- so I don't really remember what it sounded like. But I do distinctly recall that when he traded that Univox in towards an Ampeg his tone improved substantially.

mattbass6945 likes this.
  5. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    It's the same amplifier as the Univox 1061 sans a few resistors and some 6L6. If you took the 1561 label off the back it would be a 1061 chassis. The amps are cousins of the typical Bassmans and Marshalls of their day. It's not a clone of anything but the family resemblance is there.

I have a 1061 I modded to run 6550's a la 1561 spec. (I also doubled the first stage filter caps to 200uF's.) It's a neat amp with a lot of power, more than my VT-22 (V4). Both amps can sound absolutely gorgeous but the Univox's power can get lost if you set your EQ at 5-5-5 and go with the Fender-y tone stack. I keep my bass knob low, mid dimed, and season with treble and/or high boost. It sounds amazing on some E140's.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    mattbass6945 likes this.
  6. thanks guys! i have an svt and a mesa m6. i don't expect it to blow the doors off those, but i was curious about it. it would be a straight up trade, so i'm not out anything if i try it. i might even let my guitar player try it out. i keep hearing comparisons to the sunn model t and marshall super bass. was curious if there was any similarities there?
    sounds like it was originally intended for guitar, but could sound good with bass? i think there would be WAY too much power for me to just noodle around with at home on guitar.

7. Guitalia

Guitalia

Jun 7, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    I went to the Univox headquarters on Long Island in the mid-'70s and spoke to the guy who designed those amps. He said that they're essentially Japanese Marshalls built with much better quality components.

mattbass6945 likes this.
  8. awesome! thanks for the response!!!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021