1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Univox 215s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wdinc01, Sep 21, 2008.

1. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    So someone locally is selling an old Univox 215 cab for not very much money. I would like some guidance and maybe a couple of anecdotes.

Should I pick it up? I don't know if it'd be able to handle how much power I've got going with my current amp. Would it be good to put new speakers in? What kind of speakers?

Thanks in advance.

2. bottomend!

bottomend!

Oct 23, 2007
    here
  3. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I appreciate the link, but that didn't really give me any information, just that they acknowledge such a thing exists.

4. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Some pointers:

a) It's almost never a good idea to buy an old cab and put new/other drivers in it because the new drivers are designed for new enclosures. Many of them ported (the Univox is most likely sealed or open back) a lot of them needing more box volume.
    b) It probably won't handle much power, like the old Fenders so it probably won't cut it as a standalone.
    c) The tone will be very different than that of modern or contemporary 215 enclosures due to better drivers and better R&D.

Conclusion: go try it with an open mind and if its good, take it and don't temper with it. You'll lose what little value it has left and will be more hassle than buying another cab or just building one from scratch.

5. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Good point, Bill. I guess I'll pass on it.

Is there any place that I can get some good plans/schematics for a bass cab? I mean, if I already know the size I would need for whatever speaker, it can't be too hard to build, right? And I don't think it would cost too much.

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I'll add the obligatory link to http://www.billfitzmaurice.com here. Bill's cabinets are fairly easy to build without a wood shop, they're designed well, and sound great.

You might look at the Omni10 (a 2x10) or, for more bottom, the Omni15 (a 1x15).

Building your own cabinet won't be fast or very cheap, but the end result will rival cabs costing much more.

7. bottomend!

bottomend!

Oct 23, 2007
    here
    I posted this link because they have a forum board on which you could post this question.

8. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Yeah, I second the billfitzmaurice cabs. I have bought the plans for an OTB15 and it didn't look too daunting. I decided to pass on it since it would have been overkill for what I do (these cabs are very, very sensitive) and pricier than buying used around here. I also doubted my skills to pull off carpeting ;)

There's also the old EV 15" cab deisgn that's been done to death but is a proven workhorse.

9. ZiggyDude

ZiggyDude

Jun 8, 2005
    If it is one of the colorful ones with the "mod" look - they can be pretty cool. Nobody really took them serious back in the day. I would take it for a collectors item like an old tuck n roll Kustom.

10. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    I have some old Univox guitar cabs and they are GREAT sounding cabs. I would at least seriously consider a Univox bass cab. Do not fear old cabs or old speakers; as long as you don't over-power them, they can still sound great. And there are lots of speakers you can buy to put in an old cabinet that will work fine. If you want a 2x15, I suspect this Univox cab is a great deal, since Univox stuff seems largely undervalued. The biggest risk is that someone put crappy replacement speakers in it at some point.