Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Univox amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by byrdsfan, May 27, 2004.

1. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Long time ago (obviously) i was in band in which the lead guitarist had a stacked Univox amp. We played a big outdoor gig and i rented a similar bass amp. It was a Univox stack with, i think one 15 in a reflex enclosure and it was the best amp i ve played through to do this day (OK so that's not saying much but i took 25 years off). It was not overwhelmingly loud but it was deep deep deep.
    Here's a link i found for Univox.
    http://www.univox.org/pics/catalogs/ampspread.gif
    The amp i used that one time is third from left and the one guitarist owned is right next to it.
    They were blue.
    Anyone familiar with these?
    I never see these things around but i thought they looked and sounded great. The guitar amp had a Marshall sound to it.
    Also I never hear about bass reflex setups as well. Are they by the boards of am im not paying attention?

2. Univox made a 200 watt tube bass head with an accompanying 8x10 cabinet that is pretty sweet. IF you can find one, they're usually cheap.

3. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    I just looked up Univox on Harmony Central and a guy has what i think is the same head as the one i rented. He uses it for guitar and calls it the best amp he ever used. That's what i said!

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The blue amps were only made for a short time in the early 1970s and were not very popular. That's why you see few of them around. Univox sold tons of small practice amps, it's rare to see any of their big stacks.

Led Zeppelin actually endorsed those amps and in concert shots you can see a few of the cabs in use on the stage (not the heads, though!).

5. There is one on ebay right now with a matching 210 cabinet. Not sure of the wattage though (I would guess maybe 50 watts).

6. I don't know if they actually endorsed Univox (I've heard it so much, but I don't recall seeing an ad or anything), and the only picture I've seen that puts Univox and any member of Zeppelin together is a picture taken back/side stage, and it's Jimmy Page with a Univox cab in the background, not as a part of the backline, just sitting there. Kind of like if someone wheeled it in behind Jimmy and someone took the picture quick! :p

7. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    There is a Beck, Bogart, Appice ad for Univox on some unofficial site.
    I know friend got a roaring marshall sound out his in those days and he was playing a Tele!

That hed is now up to $355 with a day to go. I thought no one knew about these and i would swoop down and bag it at $101. just as well ...

8. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    In '75 or '76 I bought used the same cabinet --1x15" folded horn and the head was 50watt, i think--maybe 100 watt. Had a real growly tone, but wasn't loud enough against 2 guitars and keys! still have an old polaroid of it! I'd pick up another one if I found one cheap and close by.

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

You can still find alot of Univox on LI, you just need to know where to look.

10. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Where on LI? That's where i am. Actually i would like to get one of those guitar heads but cheap. Are they sitting around music stores?

11. MAJOR METAL

I havent seen much Univox amplification but for guitars and bases check NY Guitars in Melville, my friend Tony owns the place.

12. MAJOR METAL

I saw some univox heads at the above mentioned

13. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    I've been in NY Music quite a bit lately. Rich worked over my long lost Musicmaster bass. He did some other cool stuff for me too, made an old banjo into a lefty for my wife to play (she still hasnt) and hot-rodded a Gretsch-made Traveling Wilburys souvenir guitar. It howls!
    But im out of the amp business right now and my interest in the univox was more for my guitarist. He decided to work on his 61 Tweed Pro Reverb or whatever it is (i forget but it's old, like us). He's pretty good at electronics so he's doing it himself.

14. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    It's a 56 Pro Tweed. He didnt want to take it out of the house but changed his mind.