Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

univox any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sloppysubs, May 13, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    there is a sweet univox mosrite copy on ebay that im thinking of getting, but ive never played a univox. i thought id ask you alls opinion. so what do you think?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Cheap early 70s Japanese made junk that has been upgraded to "valuable collectible" after Kurt Cobain used a Hi-Flyer guitar.

Others will disagree but a penny over $75 woiuld be too much to pay for one in my opinion.

I played many when they were being sold new and they were pretty marginal. Today's $100 Korean and Chinese imports blow them away.

3. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    Um, I think brianrost's statement is a little harsh and unfair (and I've seen that exact line about Cobain before:p ) but, he's partially right in that most of it was junk, but not all of it. I've seen some very fine Univox instruments that were comparable to any of the "lawsuit" guitars and basses from that era. The problem is, the good ones usually cost just as much as an MIJ Fender or Ibanez from the lawsuit-era. I have seen and played some of the Univox Mosrite-ish stuff and it's decent, but not as good as a real one and I suspected they were plywood every time (I could be wrong, of course). All that being said, If it looks good, plays good, and is a reasonable price you should go for it if the Mosrite-look is what you want. I've always thought of Mosrite as a bass that is played more for looks, anyway. Sure a new 100.oo Korean import might blow it away in the traditional sense but, try and find a new Mosrite copy for 100.oo.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I used to have an early 70s Univox guitar. Awful! I agree with brian.

5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    They didn't all suck. I had a Rickenbacker copy from them that was surprisingly good till American Airlines OPENED THE CASE AND DROPPED IT OUT. After that it was worthless. But beforehand it felt looked and sounded as good as the Ric it was a backup for.

That being said, a lot of their stuff was pretty disappointing. They were about the same as any of the other 'lawsuit' models as bassackwards said. 3 out of 5 will be crap. The other 2 will get your hopes up.

I actuallly wish I still had mine (undamaged.)

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i think ill hold off. im looking for something more anyway, thanks.