Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Univox bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dminoz, Apr 22, 2003.

1. I have just acquired a Univox Lectra bass. Here's a picture of one:

http://www.univox.org/guitars/lectra.html

It is a copy of this:

http://www.bunnybass.com/bass/gibsonEB1.shtml

i.e. a Gibson EB-1.

There was also, I've read somewhere, an Aria version of the same bass, but I've not verified that.

The Univox that I've got is pretty good, but it's missing a few things. I'd like to restore it, firstly to good playing order, and then if that works, I'll get the body refinished.

To that end, I'm looking for:
    1) The bridge cover
    2) The scratch plate
    3) A Decal or badge for the headstock -- this one has none.
    4) One of the little rings that sits in the headstock buttressing the tuning peg is missing.
    5) A case

If anyone has got one of these basses that they're using for parts, I'd like to talk.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions or experience about doing these things up, improving them, e.g. bridge or pickup, I'd like to hear about it.

My impression so far is that it could be a good bass with a little tlc. It's got a good, thunky fretless sound, and the neck, once i'd loosened the truss rod, plays pretty well.

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    My first bass was the early 60's version with two pickups. I think it was 1971 when I got mine, the tone control didn't work and after further inspection months later I found it had two bandaids holding the inner wires in place (I felt SOOOO violated). all in all not a bad bass if you could imagine one thumping and popping in the early 70's on a violin shape bass (short scale, tight spacing) Boy I miss that bass :bawl:

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

my univox is the sunburst one on the site. Good luck with your new bass