1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Univox Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joncapozzi, Sep 30, 2010.

1. joncapozzi

joncapozzi

Apr 29, 2010
    I was cruising through a local music store and I found an old Univox head in the used section and it really caught my attention, as it was priced at $200. It's a tube head with 4 EL34's in it and (I think) 6 12AX7's in the pre amp. There were no markings on it, other than the Univox logo and on the back it said "300 watts". The 300 watt statement confused me, 'cause I know 4 EL34's won't make 300 watts. I played through it and it sounded pretty decent, but it might need to be looked over by a tech as the people at this store don't really seem to know what they're doing technically.

Do any of you guys think it would be worth the $200 bucks?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    if you liked it and think it's worth it, then it is. i'm pretty sure the 300w is the current draw, though, not how much power it puts out into a cab.

3. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    $200 for that?

HELL YES!

It sounds like a U1011, but i can't really tell the series with out pictures.

It was blue i assume? What shade of blue?

Buy that.

RIGHT NOW.

No joke...

How many $200 amps that were made in America in the 70's based on Marshalls do you find? Seriously. ;)

And yes, the "300w" is current draw, no doubt. It will do about 100 give or take watts RMS.

4. timmus

timmus Supporting Member

300 watts is the power drawn from the mains...four EL34's will give you about 70-80 watts or so (clean).

5. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Grab it at that price, assuming all is well with it....

6. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Weren't they MIJ?

7. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Nope!

Well some of them were. But a fair bit of them were made in Westbury NY, especially the big tube heads.

8. joncapozzi

joncapozzi

Apr 29, 2010
    It wasn't a 1011, and it was made in Japan not America. It looked very very close to this, but slightly different and with a black grille.
    [​IMG]

I'm going to go back tomorrow and play it again. But, I'll probably end up with it. Even if it doesn't work out I'll be able to resell it or throw KT88's in it to make it really rip.

9. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Cool find! I recently paid over twice that for a 1011.

10. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    +1... I paid about 250 (non working) for a 1011 three years ago and had to spend like 200 more to get it to working condition. I currently own a 1236. Univox tube heads are great... I strongly suggest you pick it up...

11. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I had a 1236 head for a while. I liked it, and the switches and knobs actually did something. They say it's 100w, but 50w is more like it with (2)6L6GC's.

The head a couple posts up looks like it was redone with Fender turquoise/silver grill cloth.

Here's a pic of a 1236 from Univox.org

12. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    That is not a 1236.

My guess is its a U-1000 (Guitar) or U-1050 (Bass)

Either way, get it....