Univox Hi Flier 1970's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Turd Ferguson, Dec 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

May 19, 2015
    Kansas City
    So I bought this on Facebook for $200. she said the pickups didn't work so I cleaned the pots and bam! worked great. it's all original except the intonation screws. one was stripped so I replaced them all and kept the originals in a bag.

Had no luck selling it, so I decided to keep it. I have a Japanese Mustang, a modded out Bronco bass as well, but this little thing is a BEAST.

Has anyone else played or owned one, and also what are your thoughts on this thing? I think I got a steal for $200. 20160629_155039.jpg

Skybone, ICM, blindrabbit and 2 others like this.
  2. Eilif

Eilif Grooving under the MDW runway.

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    That's an amazing steal for 200 bucks. Keep it for a while, you may be quite glad you weren't able to sell it.

If you do decide to sell it, I highly recommend getting a supporting membership and selling it via TB. You'll certainly get alot more than $200 for it.

Turd Ferguson and UNICORN BASS like this.
  3. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    V nice!

Turd Ferguson likes this.
  4. I got mine from a pawn shop about 2 years ago. I paid $100 and am still giddy about it. I love this bass. The pickups are spectacular. I just put some Chrome Flats on it this weekend and my love for it has increased 20 fold. Such a fun bass to play.

I think your bridge might get after market or modified as it has 4 individual saddles. Mine had 2 like an old p bass. Your bridge looks great though, should play better than mine.
    20161127_142100-01.jpeg

Turd Ferguson and blindrabbit like this.
  5. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Suspended Supporting Member

Yeah, I'd say you got a good deal. I would love to have one myself, but lefties are scarce/nonexistent, depending on who you ask...As for the bridge; Florida Sam might be right, but these basses went through 2-3 versions over the years. IIRC, the maple fretboard ones were the final ones, so that bridge just might be the original. And, if your string height is OK, and the saddles are down on the deck? You might want to think about a neck shim. I have 4 early '70s Japanese Epiphones, and 3 of them have had to be shimmed. Doesn't mean they aren't good instruments - my Epi's are wonderful - it just means they're vintage ...:thumbsup:

Turd Ferguson likes this.
  6. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

May 19, 2015
    Kansas City
    Ah yeah I should look into the bridge. I definitely had to shim the neck when I set it up.

FloridaSam, did you put short scale flats on there or long scale?

7. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Life is short, buy the bass. Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    $200 bucks is a good score. Not bad import build quality for the time . In '74 I paid $30 bucks for one , rode my bike home with it over my shoulder . Played decent and sounded better than my Hofner. I sold it about a 6 months later. I have always wanted to get another to complete my "early" years collection but they seem to go for silly money theses days . I'd be all over that for $200!

8. I put long scale on, only because I got a screaming deal on a set from a store going out of business. But, short scale would be the way to go. The long scale worked but we're a pain in the rear to get on the low E.

9. ERicks

ERicks

Feb 22, 2014
    Cool! I opened for a band called The Whigs a few months ago and their bass player had one, sounded great!

10. swamp2

swamp2

Feb 27, 2008
    Scott, I have a pretty nice black one I'd let go for $375 if you're interested...

You bought a natural T20 from me a couple years back, I'm out in Penfield...

godofthunder59 likes this.
  11. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Life is short, buy the bass. Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I remember ! Still got that Road amp?

12. swamp2

swamp2

Feb 27, 2008
    Not sure which you mean but I haven't bought or sold any amps of late, so pretty much status quo as far as that goes...

With that said, the Univox is a pretty legit instrument, quite usable... nothing really cheesy about it (except the tuners). Certainly could be improved upon as far as that goes, but it's workable enough as is so I've just left it alone as is. I've always liked Mosrite's and this was a decent knock off, that's why I picked it up.

But I'm retiring in a couple weeks and need to start getting rid of my piles of stuff, so it's expendable...

13. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

May 19, 2015
    Kansas City
    I just ordered rotosound flats for it. my tech looked it over and it's gonna need some finger board work. after adjusting the rod, it straightened the high side and caused buzz, and the low end still had more room to move down. playing it tonight at a gig then giving it to him to work his tech Magic lol

14. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

May 19, 2015
    Kansas City
    20161209_221153.jpg
    Sounds great through my amp!

ERicks and FloridaSam like this.
  15. nitrobrother

nitrobrother Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Can I join the Blond Club? This was my first bass, purchased in 1982 for $150. The pickup switch had been replaced before I got it, and now something is wonky with the electrics (no output) but it's probably never leaving my collection until I croak. 20170907_163014.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017