Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Univox Lectra

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blipndub, May 28, 2003.

1. Came across one of these at a yard sale this weekend ($75). It's in really good shape but I'm having a hard time finding out anything about it. Anyone have any leads?

It's sunburst with a scroll headstock (like an old Ampeg) two black pickups that look like vintage Gibson PAFs, a pickguard with Univox engraved and a trapezoid tailpiece with a wood inlay, also has single vol and tone and a three way toggle switch (not slider selectors).

I'll post pics soon.

Any links, experts, on these old cheapos?

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    These were made by Arai-Diamond in Japan for Univox. Under the Aria brand they are model 1420B.
    Univox identified this bass as their Model 1920.
    Most of them were made in 1968 and were available in Sunburst or Jet Black finish.
    Recently these have been selling for between $350.00 on the low end up to $550.00 on Ebay.
    If you got one for $75.00 then you got a real deal providing the bass is playable and not a wall hanger.
    Cheers,
    JC
    ;)

3. Thanks for the info the old model numbers are really helpful.

Where did you get this history, i've had a hell of a time finding anything about these basses?

I took it to practice the other night and found that the intonation was off by an entire 1/2 step, so i had to use ol' reliable fender. The floating bridge made adjusting intonation a snap and now i'm continuing to practice with it. It's got such a heavy head stock that it's not the most comfortable beast in the woods, but it's got a nice solid bottomy thunk to it.

4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I own a very rare copy of a book called Bizarre Guitars. It was published in Japan and features colour pictures of most of the Japanese made guitars and amps of the 60's. There is a section on Arai-Diamond who made basses under a number of names such as Conrad, Aria, Kimberly, Winston, Aria-Diamond to mention just a few. The book has a great colour pic of your bass in it finished in black. The book also features, guitars and basses made by Vox, Hofner, Eko, Danelectro, Hagstrom, Harmony, Kay and National-Supro.
    This book is out of print and is considered quite valuable. The last copy of one sold on Ebay for $520.00 US. I paid $50.00 US for mine 10 years ago.
    I also have a book called "Guitar Stories Vol 1" by Michael Wright. It has a large section in it on 60's and 70's made in Japan guitars and amps.
    You can also visit the Univox.org (The Univox Page) site and check out the online 60's catalogs.
    Here's the link to the 1968 catalog page 2 with your bass (model 1920) on it.
    http://www.univox.org/pics/catalogs/1968_guitars.jpg
    I happen to own the Conrad 1420 version of the bass which has a different violin body style from the 1420B.
    But honestly, I was around and remember like it was yesterday when these basses were introduced to the market in the late 60's. They were fun and unique then and still are today.
    Cheers.
    JC