Univox Pickup Suggestions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by growlngrind, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Hello all,

I have an old Univox bass identical to the one pictured that I would like to get working again. When I got it, the original bridge pickup was dead and the neck pickup was also dead and came from who knows where.

The pickups are mounted with rings similar I guess to Gibson basses. The inside of the ring measures roughly 1 & 7/16" by 3 & 1/16". I believe the pickups are very similar to those in the Mosrite bass it is a copy of. I have found rewound Mosrites for about $125 apiece, but that is really way more than I want to put into it.

What I am looking for is something that would fit without much if any modification. They don't have to be stellar either. This is a shortscale bass that I was planning on slapping some flatwounds on for some good old fashioned thump.
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

If it were something I'd want to salvage I'd start by measuring the pups and going to the various sites (Bart, etc.) where they list their pup dimensions. Compare them and see what the options are. That staggered pup may cause a problem in terms of margin from the neck and poles lining up. If you get into a routing issue or configuring a pickgaurd, you may as well pay for the Mosrite pups (assuming they really fit). You can always pull the pups and resale them when your done to cut any loss.

Also a guy emailed me once that has a Mosrite site. Don't still have the site but you could probably find it with a search and he may have something laying about or a suggestion of use.
  3. phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I'd look into having the pickups you've got rewound. As long as the bobbins are in decent shape, it wouldn't be hard for someone with the proper equipment to just take off the old wire and wind on some new.

Looks like Lollar Guitars (.com) will do it for $50 per coil. I'm sure there's someone out there that can do it for less. Google!