1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Univox--Ric Copy...Should I or Shouldn't I?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tommyr01, Aug 13, 2007.

1. tommyr01

tommyr01 Simma Down Nah ! Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Tucson, AZ, USA
    Local GC here has a Univox Ric Copy...it is in pretty decent shape, I messed around with it for a bit and liked the sound.......the big question is.......should I settle with this or just keep Gassing for the real thing and eventually save up for one? I have not played a real Ric in person yet so I should probably try that I suppose..........

Anyone like or dislike the "Univox" .........? I read a couple past posts about these, just curious if anyone had any other thoughts....thx

2. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Get a real RIC.

3. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    oh dude send that over here!!!:p

but seriously, if the price is dramatically different (i'm not sure since the univox was made in the 70s) i'd go for it. it's basically a perfect clone of a ric. as long as it's go 2 single coils in right position, that's basically the ric sound. and it's in stereo, too!!!

4. Try the real thing, then get the copy if you still want it. ;)

5. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Try the real thing and you won't want a copy.

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Go for it, then try a real Ric. If the real Ric really is "all that", then you will easily be able to sell the copy on for what you pay for it.

Of course, if it's a good copy you won't even need a proper Ric!

7. tommyr01

Feb 25, 2004
    Tucson, AZ, USA
    I will go to the GC tomorrow and check it again........these GAS pains are killing me...........

8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Many of the Lawsuit era Japanese copies are very good quality.

If you like the way it feels and sounds and you think that it is of quality construction then grab it up.

I was in GC Saturday and must have missed it!

9. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    I've got a 76 Univox and am impressed. Neck thru, Stereo outs, dual truss rods, nice wood-whats not to like? I've never owned a Ric but this satisfies the jones completely for me, and for one third the price it's even sweeter. My Ric loving friends actually like the neck on mine better than the real ones, it's apparently less 'clubby' near the headstock.

I say buy it if it's a good one, cause they are a lot rarer than used Rics. Then compare at your leisure and see if a real Ric is 3X better. :smug:

10. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Go for it. Talkin bout...right now.

11. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Yes, before I drive over to Tucson and relieve you of the pressing burden of your decision!

I used to have one, and sold it since I had no idea what it was. Been wanting one again ever since. Act NOW!

12. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    I had an Ibanez Ric copy when I was a kid. I loved it, and then for some reason got rid of it. I bought a Ric a few months back because I was nostalgic for that Ibanez. Funny huh? Anyway I figured since the clones are so expensive now I might as well get the real thing. They really sound pretty close.

If the copy is cheap enough go for it.

13. tommyr01

Feb 25, 2004
    Tucson, AZ, USA
    Hopefully it is still there tomorrow morn...........

14. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Well??

What happened?

Inquiring minds want to know!

15. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Yeah, don't be a Ric tease. :bag:

16. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    buy it and take out the pickups and replace them with a couple of Precision pickups then post pics on Talkbass and start a flame war:)

17. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    For how much? I owned one for abuout a year, paid 500$ for it and enjoyed it more than a real rick. YMMV

18. tommyr01

Feb 25, 2004
    Tucson, AZ, USA
    It was 500....but alas, it was gone when I went back............oh well. :(

19. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Don't feel bad. I paid just ove 400 for my first Ric in '78. Sold a mint Ric in 06 for around 700. Deals are to be gotten...
    I don't care how good they supposedly are. It's still a copy!!!!!!

20. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    Man! in '79 I bought a Rick 4001 in JetGlow (Black), and a Fender Bassman 50 1/2 stack for $500. I more than Doubled my money after 6 months, as I didn't care for the Rick or the Fender. But I still have a Flyer of me playing that Rick, and it brings back memories!

I just scored a Univox Rick project. Lets see if I'm as Un-impressed with the copy. So far I like it...

Front.
    Head_stock.

One thing always sat funny with me. If the ORIGINAL is REALLY that much better, Why did the OEM's get upset with the copies? You'd think it would give them the chance to show the world that The REAL-DEAL was a superior product, and you "Get what you Pay For". The Originals are better, right? :bag: