Univox Rickenbacker copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pneu, May 19, 2004.

1. What do you think about those instruments? Have any of you ever played them? How are they compared to original Rics?
  2. They are fine.
    They havent been made for sometime now so i am assuming you found a used one?
    They dont really have the same punch or sustain as a real Ric IMO. But they are a decent alternative if you cannot get a real Ric.
  3. Not being able to afford a "real" Rick at the time, I bought a Univox Rickenbacker copy. The quality for the price I paid is outstanding! The finish (a more vibrant variation of the MapleGlo) looked great, the action wasn't too tough to tweak, the sustain and 'ring' (though still not comparable to a real Rick) were clearly present, and the clarity of every note is something to really hear.

Don't know it if it's just something with my preferences, but I just like the sound of new strings far better than used ones, so I swapped them out. However, I noticed as the strings grew older they still retained a nice tension and punch to them, giving the bass a nice R&B/blues sound to it. Nevertheless, the simple passive electronics on it can dial up a seemingly endless variety of tones, and with some effects it can blow the door wide open (but it wasn't wired for stereo...one of my next projects).

Overall: great bass, unique, very versatile, worth the money (wouldn't pay mroe than $550 US though...after all it still IS a copy)
  4. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    Back in the day I had a few Rics. I know they may be expensive and hard to find new or used where you are, but they're worth it. So save your money up and get the genuine thing. Because if you get the Univox all the wishing in the world is not gonna turn it into what you really want. That is of course, if you really wanna Ric. And no I'm not trying to be a snob but as I remember trying the Uni Ric it didn't feel,play or sound like the real thing. It just sort of looked like it and that was all.
  5. #1 Price of original Ricks is faaar beyond my reach
    #2 Originals are hard to find as there is no official rickenbacker representative in Poland (what also rises the price
    cause you have to import one by yourself)
    #3 This Univox is used (of course) for an equivalent of about 250$
    #4 I'm a great fan of Lemmy Kilmister :D

I think I'll buy it :cool:
  6. ThePye

Feb 25, 2015
    Dunnellon Fl
    Jeez, for 500 I'd buy one!