1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Univox 'Stereo' Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonconformist, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Looking into buying one from a fellow TBer...

In your opinion, are these basses solid main gigging basses? Or is that a bad idea?

2. Mine is killer. Don't let the Univox name throw you as the products that came out of the Matsumoku factory in the '70's and '80's were extremely good quality instruments with fine workmanship.

I bought mine with Seymour Duncan pickups installed and I added a Hipshot replacement bridge as the original had some "tail-lift" going (just like many Ric bridges) and then I added a new Ric wiring harness and jacks.

This bass is my absolute #1 over my Lakland Scheff and Epi Elite T-bird. Frankly, being that it is a Univox and not a vintage Ric worth $$$$, I don't worry so much about it when I take it out of the house for practices and shows yet I still get rewarded with an awesome tone from it.

I say "go for it!". Worst case scenario will be that you sell it for at least as much as you paid.

3. any other opinions on these?

4. Univox made really solid instruments. As noted above, They were made by Matsumoku and that factory turned out many lines of very solid, dependable basses. If you like the bass, by all means go for it. You won't be disappointed.