Univox truss rod

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Channelzz, Feb 13, 2018.

  1. Channelzz


    Feb 13, 2018
    Hey everyone. I have one of those old matsomoku "p-basses" by univox. It's already not entirely original so I'm not particularly dedicated to keeping all the old parts. I'm wondering if anyone knows whether a generic truss rod for a precision bass would fit inside a univox neck? I might try taking the fretboard off this weekend but only if I know what to replace the old rod with. Thanks!
  2. Pilgrim

    Pilgrim Supporting Member

    It may be superfluous to ask, but what's the problem with the current truss rod. Broken? Stripped end?
  3. Channelzz


    Feb 13, 2018
    Stripped end. More trouble than I want to deal with each time I adjust it.
  4. 96tbird

    96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

    If its stripped you mean the nut or the threads?
  5. Bruce Johnson

    Bruce Johnson Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

    Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Yes, a standard generic Fender-style 3/16" rod single-acting single-rod style truss rod kit will basically fit inside that neck. But it's not just going to bolt in. It may take some fitting or shimming of the slot, and reworking of the anchor area. If I remember right, most of those old Matsomoku necks used a metric 5mm rod, which is slightly larger diameter than the US 3/16" rod. The length of the rod, position of the anchor, and style of anchor could be anything. You'll have to chisel out the filler strip, and you may have to fill and recut the anchor area.

    So yes, that's the type of truss rod that I would use to replace the original, but it will require some work.
    EpicSoundtracks likes this.
  6. Yes, please elaborate as to what's stripped.
  7. Channelzz


    Feb 13, 2018
    It's the top of the nut. It doesn't turn with a normal hex wrench. Basically a circle at this point.
  8. Take a picture of that bad boy. You can replace that nut if you can get it off. Manually remove some tension off the truss rod by hand then use a torx bit or ez out or larger size allen wrench to remove it and just replace the nut.
    96tbird likes this.