1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Univox U-1050

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bobster, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    This will sound a little strange. I've got an old bass amp at my mother's house that I'm planning to take to my home. It's been there since 1980 when I left it there. And seems to still be in working order.

It's a Univox, I'm unsure of the model (since I haven't been able to get a look at it in quite a while) but it looks like the drawing I'm attaching, which is labeled as a 1050.

I've checked the internet (where I found the drawing) and searched for U-1011 Univox here, but haven't found much detail.

Does anyone have much info on these old Univox amps?

2. I found this information here under '68-'71 amps.

U-1050 Bass Amp System - 7 tubes and solid state power supply, 85W, 4 inputs, 2 channels (bass and normal) w/ 2 2x12 cabinets with Eminence special design speakers. Controls: individual volume on each channel, bass, middle, treble, presence. Selectable 2,4 or 8 Ohm output.

I hope that helps...

3. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Oddio;

Thanks for that bit, that's about the all the detail I can find too.

Anyone else have any experience with the U-1050 or it's close relations?

Thanks

4. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Try the user reviews at harmony-central dot com.

5. I have and use three Univox Group B tube heads: a 100 watt U-1061, a 150 watt U-1561, and a 60 watt U-1246. I've replaced the 6L6s in the U-1061 with 6550s and I use KT-66s in the U-1246. I actually use the U-1246 the most for practices. Since they are all two channel amps I connect the normal input in channel one with the bright input in channel two. This allows me to use both volume knobs to blend the normal and bright. All the amps are very loud and very clean. Only when dimed does the U-1246 have a hint of breakup. The other two amps would shatter the windows if I dimed them.

I usually see people comparing these amps to Bassmans or Marshalls. However, and I'm no expert, from what I've read about Hiwatts being clean amps, I'd think these would be more akin to them. Anyway, I think they are great amps. I bought all three for cheap on Ebay and they are all in good to excellent shape, reliable and not noisey. Hope this helps.

6. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Hey mzungu, can you comment on your U-1561? I may be picking one up from a friend soon.

7. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    mzungu;

Thanks for the additional info. I'll post some pics after I can get up there.

8. I use my U-1561 the least, not because I don't like it, but because I haven't installed a grounded cord yet. I have this strange fear that I might get electrocuted like that Yardbird dude. It is clean like my other Univoxs and the second channel volume knob can be pulled out for extra highs. I've also seen these amps described as "hi-fi", meaning I guess that they don't color the sound much. I've also read that Univox amps were made by a subsidiary of the company that made Marshalls and therefore have the same transformers as Marshalls. Again, I'm not an electronics expert by any means, but the transformers in all my Univox heads are really beefy. The 6550s in my U-1061 really heat the head up and it is still going strong after making the switch a couple years ago. I wrote a review of the U-1061 on harmony central. I think they are cool amps for bass, I think they'd suck as a guitar amp due to their clean headroom. They are definately a bargain, but are going up in price a bit on Ebay.

9. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Thanks for the info mzungu. Hopefully I'll be able to grab this one and put it up against my 70s Ampeg V4.