1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Univox u-1061

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by countshockula, May 4, 2010.

1. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    I did some searching, but can't find exactly what I'm looking for.
    I recently purchased an old univox 1061, sounds pretty good, has a quad of 6l6's I believe. I remember seeing something somewhere (harmony central maybe?) about swapping those tubes out with a different type to get more power. I can't seem to find that info now.
    Anyone out there have any experience or info on this?
    Thanks

2. You won't be able to get much more power just by swapping tube types - the transformers kind of limit you to 100 Watts output, and if you try putting in KT88's or something, you'll end up overloading the power transformer filament winding and frying the power transformer. If the amp is still all-original, the filter capacitors are probably dried up and by replacing them you would probably improve the sound and max volume considerably. I'd try rehabbing it first by replacing the old filter capacitors, having it checked out and biased. If it's still not loud enough, sell it and buy a bigger amp.

Chris

3. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    Thanks,
    I don't know if it's "Not loud enough", but if I could get more out of it, I would!
    I have an older svt-III and a GK 1001rb as well, so it's not like I don't have other options.
    Granted, they all sound quite different, but I do like messing with things!
    I'll have to look into the Filter caps, I know it has fairly recent tubes in it.

4. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    I found some of it:

"have and use three Univox Group B tube heads: a 100 watt U-1061, a 150 watt U-1561, and a 60 watt U-1246. I've replaced the 6L6s in the U-1061 with 6550s and I use KT-66s in the U-1246."
    "Again, I'm not an electronics expert by any means, but the transformers in all my Univox heads are really beefy. The 6550s in my U-1061 really heat the head up and it is still going strong after making the switch a couple years ago. I wrote a review of the U-1061 on harmony central. I think they are cool amps for bass, I think they'd suck as a guitar amp due to their clean headroom. They are definately a bargain, but are going up in price a bit on Ebay."

These are both quotes from TB, but I know I saw some on HC too.

Any tube amp Gurus wanna weigh in?

5. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    You have a Superbass/Superlead by Univox.

:) Enjoy!

Univox/Unicord Imported Marshalls back in the day.

So that is why the circuit is close to a Marshall. Same Spec'd transformers too.

Any thing else you want to know?

Again, you can milk a FEW more "watts" out of it by setting the bias higher, but i would avoid running the amp too hot, as it will shorten valve life.

6. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    So swapping out the 6l6's for 6550s is not a good idea, correct?

7. I wouldn't do it, but I'm sure somebody would/has. (4) 6550's in an amp designed for them will do close to 200W, but in the 1061 they may put out 110W or something as opposed to 100W with 6L6GC's, and it could blow something. Not worth it in my opinion.

Chris

8. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    Yeah,
    I think the amp is supposed to do 105 watts.
    I've read of a few people putting 6550s in them, and claiming noticeable gains, but it seems like everyone thinks that it's a bad idea.

I would like to get a little more volume out of it before it breaks up, everyone has said that they have a lot of clean power, but mine gets pretty dirty, pretty early. And I love dirt, but still...

9. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    The amp was designed for 6L6's... why not just use them? ;)

I do understand the want for more volume, but just use bigger and more efficient speakers.

10. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Pics or it doesn't exist!

11. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    Count, lay some pics on us, those old Univoxes look cool. Can you compare the tone to any other amps?

12. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    It ought to sound like a Superbass. :)

13. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    Here she is!

I don't know if I've played thru enough other amps to compare it, but it sounds like tube-y goodness to me.
    Plus, it's freakin' huge for 100 watts, and it looks weird.

Attached Files:

14. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    I'm trying to put up more pics, but it's really hard to make them small and crappy enough for talkbass to upload them.

15. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    more:

Attached Files:

16. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Use photobucket my friend. :)

Much easier than anywhere else. And then you don't have upload pictures 4000 times for every forum. ;)

17. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    yeah, I have a photobucket account, but I've never used it. seems like just one more step.

18. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    Anyone else out there have any pointers/info on this old tube amp?

19. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Anything else you want to know, specifically? ;)

20. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    Just what to be looking for, what can go wrong, other things to check, tone wisdom, anything! This is my first all-tube amp.