1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Univox U1561 bass head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LedHed74, Apr 11, 2015.

1. LedHed74

LedHed74

Aug 28, 2012
    I have a chance to grab a 1971 univox U1561 bass head. But I don't want it if it's not that great. Does anyone have any experience with this particular head to share if they dig it or hate it? I'd appreciate any information I can get on it.

2. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

with a tube amp that old it all depends on a lot of things.

If you want to gig it, I'd guess it won't be loud enough, but if you want it for a studio then if it is quiet it would be a good buy depending on the price.

3. LedHed74

LedHed74

Aug 28, 2012
    Thank you. I'm gigging with it. So I'm gonna pass. I appreciate your response.

4. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    A 150 watt tube amp with 4 6550s is going to be plenty loud, depending on your cab.

So sick of the bs around here...

webmonster and Vince Klortho like this.
  5. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I own a U1061 which is the same amp except for the stock output tubes (6L6). I now run 6550's in mine and it's plenty of amp for any gig I'll see in my town. The transformers are no joke. I love the amp for the overdriven sound mostly though.

FWIW I paid $300 for my amp with intention to fix it up for gigging. I put close to $200 parts into the amp (filter caps, 12AX7s, 6550's, and a fan) before it was ready.

That said, if I needed a primary gigging amp for $500 I'd have bought a used 1001RB-II

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  6. Totally gig-worthy. It being old is irrelevant. I played last night in front of a crowd outdoors with a 100-watt tube head from the same era. I would love to have a Univox.

webmonster likes this.
  7. webmonster

webmonster

May 19, 2013
    New Zealand
    My main rig is a mid 1970's 180w tube head with two TL 606 cabs loaded with eminence 3015ho.
    By the end of the night I almost always have ear plugs in and my sound remains pretty clean.

Sensitive speakers maximize clean headroom.

Old tube amps can usually be easily tested and restored so age alone is not a bad problem.

If you can get it for a good price, are willing to get a tech to check it over and you have sensitive drivers then it could all work out really well!

8. waltdogg

waltdogg

May 24, 2014
    "You're not loud enough," said no one ever to the bassist with a ~100 watt tube head and big fridge or highly efficient cab. Go buy it.

webmonster likes this.