Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unknown Ampeg 4x10 Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by terser, Jan 26, 2003.

1. terser

terser

Dec 23, 2002
    South Jersey
    Can anyone identify this Ampeg 4x10 cabinet. I bought it used at a music store and it had no identifying features but a metal Ampeg symbol on the grill. It looks old and is covered in black tolex. The top two speakers are angled back. I tested the resistance at about 8 ohms. No serial numbers or anything. I pulled one speaker and it is the square magnet type. No identifying marks. Sorry for the poor picture quality. By the way, the thing sounds great. I would like to know what kind of power rating it has and/or the model. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Those 10s might be 12s. Maybe it's a gu*t*r cab! :eek:

3. terser

terser

Dec 23, 2002
    South Jersey
    No, I measured them. They are 10". Ampeg has a 4x12 that looks like it, but they are definitely 10s.

4. It's possible that somebody cut an 8 X 10" down into 2 - 4 X 10" cabinets. I've seen that done and that's what it looks like you've got...half an 8 X 10".

5. Univox made 4x10 guitar and PA cabinets in the late 60's and early 70's which had square magnets on the speakers. That's what yours looks like. Half an 8X10 wouldn't have a slant face baffle. It's most definitely NOT a sawed-off 8x10. The Ampeg badge was probably an aftermarket addition meant to increase the 'value' of the cab. Nobody will pay squat for a Univox cab, but put an Ampeg badge on it and it's worth some money.

6. terser

terser

Dec 23, 2002
    South Jersey
    I don't think that the 8x10 has an angled back top for the upper two speakers. Even if it was cut in half, this looks too "factory" for a "cut in half" cabinet because of the upper two angled back speakers. I appreciate your thoughts though. It looks like this is going to be an "unsolved mystery". Sounds good though.

7. terser

terser

Dec 23, 2002
    South Jersey
    I checked out all of the Univox stuff. There were a lot of old catalogs on the internet. Nothing even comes close to the one I have. I wouldn't mind, though, because it looks like they used Eminence speakers in them.

The top of my cabinet has insets just like some Ampeg cabs in order to insert the feet of the amp and the Ampeg B2R fits it like a glove. Coincidence or more. You decide.

8. I would put my cash on the bet that it is a guitar cab. I am really surprised that it is 10's, not 12's. the total width of the cab will tell the story.

like these:
    [​IMG]

They were a part of the partnership with Lee jackson and Ampeg for SLM

9. terser

terser

Dec 23, 2002
    South Jersey
    I saw the slant 4x12 Ampeg guitar cabs. You're right. It is the only thing that I have ever seen that comes close. The 10" speakers are throwing me off. But they are 10s. What do you mean by the width of the cab telling the story?

10. most bass cabs (410's) are ~22-24" wide
    most guitar cabs are ~28-34" wide

depth will tell you a lot too:
    bass cabs are rarely shallower than 16", baffle to back.
    guitar cabs can be inset, with a depth of <16" not offseting for the inset.

11. terser

terser

Dec 23, 2002
    South Jersey
    Well, I think you're right about it being a guitar amp. This cabinet is most definitely wider than 24", closer to 30". Bad Mr. Music dealer for passing it off as a bass cab. I won't make the same mistake the next time. Its days are probably numbered with me splitting 350 watts between it and a 1x15 and hitting it with low B's.