1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Unknown Bass from 72 Fenderish any ideas?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chrisrhoads, Oct 23, 2006.

1. It was purchased in Calgary in 72 or 73. the silver neckplate- "Made in Japan"
    back of the headstock- W050877

Anyways just trying to get some ideas of what the brand could be and possible value.

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have no idea who made it, but it looks like a standard Japanese Fender copy of the day by a company like Greco or Tokai. Not a bad copy but not like one of the higher quality Fender copies from Ibanez. Probably worth about $300.

3. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    may want to post this on the FDP (Fender Discussion Page), and get their ideas ...

4. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Hmm. I don't think it's a Greco or Tokai. I could be wrong though. Usually the Tokais are alot closer to Fender specs. The headstock, tuners, and truss rod cover just don't look like Greco. Most likely it was made by a Japanese company. The pickups might reveal more info.

5. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I have a '68 Goya that is very similar to that bass. I did some work on the bass to include removal of the fretted neck and putting on a fretless '70 Tokai neck.

Check into my web page link here to see what I found out .... :cool:

6. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I would have guessed Goya also. The "almost-but-not-quite" Fender headstock with the much smaller tuners were my clues. I've seen several in local shops. $250-$350 usually being the price, depending on overall condition.

7. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003