1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Unknown Bass?!?!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tommygo, Apr 22, 2009.

1. tommygo

tommygo

Apr 22, 2009
    Hi everybody, a friend of mine gave me this bass, but I dunno anything about this brand... I searched on internet, but nothing at all...Never existed...I'm a newbie, but i think it's a cheap bad bass. Do you know anything??

Attached Files:

2. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    How does it play? How does it sound? The price was certainly reasonable! If it plays OK and sounds OK, you got a great deal!

There are zillions of generic low-cost PJ basses produced in Asia with all kinds of names on the headstocks. Who cares? If it plays OK but sounds bad, you can spend $50 or $100, replace the pickups and buy some decent strings. Then you will have a bass that plays OK and sounds OK for very little money. That's better than a lot of first basses!

3. sixway

sixway Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Kailua, Hawaii
    It looks like a nice bass, with P and J pickups to play through. Looks like your friend didn't know or care to install the strings correctly though, so learn how to do that properly.

The price is right, and it probably sounds decent - enjoy!

4. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    I don't know if this will help, but I have found the same brandname on what appears to be a Les Paul guitar copy.

http://www.wikizic.org/Chevy-Les-Paul/gallery-2.htm

Check out the headstock...same as your bass.

EDIT: Harmony Central seems to have a couple reviews for this brand...

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/brand/Cheri/Chevy

Strat Copy, Les Paul Copy...yep, now I'm almost certain this bass you have is some sort of Ibanez GSR copy that this brand appears to have manufactured at some point.

5. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Does that say "Chevy"? Don't know that I would want a GM product. ;)
    I prefer Fords myself...
    :bag:

Looks decent. A set up and restring and you should be up and running.

6. tommygo

tommygo

Apr 22, 2009
    Actually it doesen't sound that bad,(it's not a precision of course :smug:), but has a bad playability, due to his very hard neck... It definitely isn a good bass, I just wanted to know if anyone knew the brand.

7. sixway

sixway Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Kailua, Hawaii
    What do you mean by "very hard neck"?

8. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    So you prefer the Mustangs, eh...Meh, I'll take a Corvette (Warwick, maybe even Chevy) :D

9. tommygo

tommygo

Apr 22, 2009
    I'm italian, so maybe I didn't use the right words to explain...it isn't very confortable, it seems made of plastic(it is not)... with new strings it certenly would be another thing...

10. tommygo

tommygo

Apr 22, 2009
    And however, I'll take a Corvette too!!!:hyper:

11. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    do you know how to set up a bass? (neck relief, action, intonation)

12. tommygo

tommygo

Apr 22, 2009
    no...

13. sixway

sixway Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Kailua, Hawaii
    You should find a fellow bass player who knows how to set the neck, intonation, and string height. That along with a new set of strings, (try light or medium gauge), and you'll find that it might just be a decent enough bass to learn on for awhile. You will learn more about basses by then, and know more about what you would like in your next bass. Enjoy the journey!