Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

unknown electric hollow bass - from 60's CA possibly?, no mention of origin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fitz K. Raldo, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Fitz K. Raldo

Fitz K. Raldo Guest

Sep 4, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hi everybody,

I would be very grateful indeed if you could have a look at this instrument and maybe come up with some ideas regarding the possible make and age of this bass.

I bought this bass about two months ago from this American chap in Germany and I would really like to find out more about the instrument. Maybe someone could help a bit?

This nice guy who sold it to me told me that he bought the bass in a 2nd hand place in Santa Barbara, CA in the early/mid 70's (he could't quite remember when exactly ;-) ). He took the bass to Germany soon after and it has been sitting around in his living room and hasn't been played much for the last 30 years odd. The chap he bought it from - the 2nd hand shop guy - told him that it had formerly been used as a slap bass.

While brushing it up a little I actually found a piece of a matchbox under one of the pickups that actually said Santa Barbara, CA on it.

Does anyone know anything about this instrument? What make could it possibly be, e.g.?

It has a great sound, both acoustic and electric. The frets however seem to have been sanded down towards the heel. Would one do this to get a kind of almost fretless neck in order to slap?

If you look closely you can see that there is a fret up near the headstock just in front of the nut.

There is also a mark on the headstock that looks a bit like a 'D' (a friend thought it may have something to do with 'Duesenberg' at first). The mark looks a bit like a 'D', but if you look real close there's a really slight round dent (3,2mm in diameter) around where the finish of the wood seems to have come off and been stuck on again...

The black strip on the back of the headstock is actually silver (does not come across properly on the pic) and on it it says in black capital letters "STEEL REINFORCED NECK".

the neck is rosewood, the inlays are silver and could be some kind of cloud-font-type mushroomy letter 'T's... I haven't found anything on the bass that has any brand name or stamp or anything on it so far, not even underneath the pickups.

Thx a million in advance for getting back to me... :help: :)

Attached Files:

2. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    That bass is way cool. I don't recognize it, but I know that in the 60's and early 70's there were a lot of basses made in Japan and they rarely had any kind of name on them, which makes it hard for identification. Good luck.

3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    It's a Tiesco made in Japan. I'll guess mid to late 60's.

They were imported into North America under a variety of brand names. Every importer put their own (different) brand name on them.

TD

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Definitely Teisco. I recognize the pickups.

5. Fitz K. Raldo

Fitz K. Raldo Guest

Sep 4, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    I found exactly my bass after googling for "Teisco bass" :)

Thanks a million for your help. You certainly made my day! ::))

It's currently the first bass (except for the darker neck on this one) under the following URL:

www.teiscotwangers.com/storiesandpics.htm

According to the following info it can be dated to approx. 1966.

www.teiscotwangers.com/history.htm

Here is a brilliant, very detailed article on Teisco guitars/basses.
    The article actually mentions the knob which was only used for EP-200B's which were produced in/later than '66.

http://www.vintageguitar.com/brands/details.asp?ID=65

Thanks again, guys. Happy trails.
    :)

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Those 60's MIJ basses were indeed very cool, witht he right tech to refret and clean them up you can actually make many of them great players.

7. johnp352

johnp352 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner, GK, Malekko, Dredgetone, Pigtronix, Seymour Duncan
    in '76 zzzzzzzzzzz

oh yea..here's the deal..the pickups are really good! noisy, low output..but really good. I turned that bass into a "sub piccolo" by tuning it Bb/Eb/Ab/Db..(note the Bb was UP , not down, ie this wasn't a bead sub tuning) I was heavily influenced by pete cosey at the time (still am in a way)..that tuning really made the bass work.