Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unknown Flats On Bass...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bertbassplayer, Mar 19, 2002.

1. I just bought a bass off ebay from someone, and it came strung with some flats. I was wondering if anyone could give me any hint on what they are. They have no silk on them, and they have brass ball ends.

2. D'Addario Chromes come with blue silk and different coloured ends, so that's out. TI Jazz Flats have a dark red coloured silk on them with brass ends, but they could have taken the silk off. I don't know why they would, but they could. Those are the only flatwounds I'm familiar with. Is there anything else you can tell us about them? How many strings, feel, size, scale length?

3. They look just like a set of Fender Flats I have, but they weren't as sticky as those are. The guy said they were TIs, but they seem too taught for those.

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I can't remember if La Bellas have silk or not.

-Roto 77's have red silk at both ends.
    -Fender 9050's have green silk at the ball end.
    -D'Addario Chromes have blue silk at the headstock end and maybe the ball end.
    -Ernie Ball flats have blue silk at the headstock end and I think the ball end.
    -I think Pyramids have green silk, but I'm not sure.
    -TI Jazz Flats have red silk at both ends.

Other possibilities: Guild, D'Aquisto, Dean Markley, and Picato. I haven't seen these. However, I recently got some Guild nickel roundwounds that were similar to Fender 7250's (they come from the same factory, after all), but had no silk. So it seems possible that Guild flatwounds might be like Fender 9050's but without the silk. The Fender 9050's I've used have been super-slick and non-sticky, so maybe yours are a little unusual.

Hope this helps.

5. I took them off.... they are Fender 9050's