Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

unknown japanese bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sean 6000, Sep 29, 2005.

1. sean 6000

sean 6000

Feb 13, 2005
    I just bought this bass at a pawn shop in Madison Heights, MI for $50. I have no idea what it could be, there's no identifying marks/company names/model name/etc. at all. Not even a serial number. I was hoping someone might know what it is. It looks old. All I know is that is was made in Japan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Headstock kind of looks like a Hagstrom...

here

Is that a zero fret I see there???? Isn't that usually only seen on high end basses????

3. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I say Kent or Hagstrom, but I can't say for sure. Pickups look like Teisco, but then a lot of those old Japanese basses were made in the same factories and such.

4. sean 6000

sean 6000

Feb 13, 2005
    that's what it looks like, although i didn't know there was such a thing. heh, i figured it was a manufacturer's error.

5. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    how does it play? would u buy it if it was marked more then $50?

6. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    That's pretty sweet. I wish pawn shops sold nice instruments here for cheap. They have old Ibanezes that look like they've been dragged behind a car, and cost $400.

7. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    A lot of times they'll let you talk em down.

Anyway, these kinds of basses- weird 60s-70s Japanese and Korean- are my favourites.

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If it plays ok for $50, then I'd be happy with it, whatever it is.

9. I can tell you that it is not a Hagstrom; they were made in Sweden. I owned several back in the day.

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Looks like a Univox or Tiesco Del Ray. How does it play? How does it sound?

11. sean 6000

sean 6000

Feb 13, 2005
    it plays really well. nice, fast action. it is suprisingly light too, so it's comfortable. i probably wouldn't have bought it if it was more than $250 or so, but i'm glad that i got it at such a low price. it has a unique sound, not amazing or anything, but pretty good for a $50 bass. very boomy.

when i tried it out at the shop, they thought it was broken so they took it down to $50 from $150. i took it to a repair shop, plugged it in, and......it worked. turns out the cable at the pawn shop was bad or something. so they pretty much just took off $100 for no reason.

12. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    Exactly what is a zero fret? Is that the little space between the nut and the first fret? What's the point of one?

Looks like a nice bass. Go back to that pawn shop sometime. If they have a bad cable, you could probably get more good basses for cheap.

13. Its the bit of fret wire just after the nut, it means when you play an open note it sounds like a fretted note

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I second the teisco notion.

15. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I 2nd the pawn shop/ bad cable= bass for cheap notion :hyper:

16. francisk

francisk

Sep 29, 2005
    Ireland
    I think that it is either a Prestige or a Teisco (pickguard suggests a Prestige). :)

17. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I really like the neck, but I have no idea what brand it could be.

18. I'd say it's Teisco Del Ray as well. I have one that's very simmilar. Exact same neck and inlays, same bridge, simmilar burst-finish and pickgaurd style + the 2 switches. Here's mine

(On the very left)
    [​IMG]

It's a pretty crummy bass, I never play it anymore. But it was my very first bass and got me through the first year or so. Looks nice hanging on the wall :p